Pinky and Ring Finger Numbness Caused by Cervical Stenosis

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am a 72 year old male in generally good health. Five months ago I injured my cervial spine while playing water volley ball. MRI showed multilevel disc desiccation and disc space narrowing with spondylotic deformity worse C5-C6 and C6-C7. I have numbness in my right hand pink and ring fingers that is not getting better. So far I've had three months of PT and 2 months of needling - they have not helped the numbness. If you have a similar problem, I'd like to hear about how you are going about resolving this problem.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

@icrazyhorse, I'm not sure what you mean by needling. Do you perhaps mean epidural cervical injections of steroids? I have stenosis at C7/C8 which my neurologist said is the cause of my numbness in pinky/ring finger/middle finger. I also have carpal tunnel which affects the middle finger and index finger. I had a cervical epidural injection of of prednisone at C7/C8 two months ago which has been very effective so far for the ring and pinky finger and somewhat effective for the middle finger.

• Posted

you have injured your brachial plexus. the brachial plexus innervates the arm and hand. the ulnar nerve is being compressed.
  • Posted

I would not do surgery, maybe a steroid epidural would relive the numbness but I know from experience of having a severe cut in my finger that I should of gone to ER but didn't I have nerve damage that caused numbness but your body has a way of adjusting to it. I know my tip is numb but after a year it just doesn't bother me. Try acupuncture and give it some time as three months is not enough time to heal from that type of injury. Make sure you eat a healthy diet as that will help you heal! Good luck! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.