Grandmother has flaky skin now cancerous.

Posted , 3 users are following.

Gran has flaky skin now blistering.

Hi there,

My grandmother has had very dry skin for about 1-2 years. It flakes across her body with each flake measuring from 2-3cm. Sometimes looking scaly.

Her legs are the driest areas.

Around her neck and chest the skin has started to blacken. Almost as if it's bruised.

We've been to many doctors and dermatologists all have given no clear response as to what the condition is.

Recently, one of the areas on her leg has blistered. It began by showing as a small red spot around 3cm diameter. It grew rapidly daily and blistered and is now around 10cm diameter. It's is pussing and bleeding.

It's dressed daily.

She's been to hospital and had biopsy, they've said it may be cancerous and now are conducting further tests. A second similar blister has started o her other leg.

Our concern is that if the drying skin condition is leading to the cancer forming, is it possible to prevent any further flaking of skin? And therefore preventing further cancerous blisters forming.

I've uploaded pictures of her leg and the flakiness.

All dermatologists so far have been unable to recognise the condition.

Thanks, any help is very much appreciated.

Jay

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Can't upload pic from phone. Will try from laptop.

• Posted

If the Doctor does not know what ails granny and it ppears black in some areas then he should follow up by saying that he knows a man that does know, a hospital dermatologist. If the local dermatologist does not know then her doctor should do what my practice does in cases like this: Google up "My patient" for answers. I wonder if the hospital Doctor used a needle and stabed the wound for a biopsy. This could mean they have released the problem into her blood and spread the Cancer ,if she has got that, into every part of her body. If ever I have to have an exploratry biopsy I will have to be on the operating table ready with the Surgeons ready ther and then to ct out the offending area if cancer is found. Historically, they stab a puncture into what they suspect to be cancerous and if cancer is found they will organise surgery some times in the future, whilst the cancer burst out and contaminates all other organs! Wallies! 

• Posted

Dry flaky skin can be very difficult to diagnose and I expect your Gran has been given all the creams and lotions that are usually used for this condition. Is your Gran active?. Does she smoke? or been a heavy smoker in the past?  I am concerned that the blisters could be the start of ulcers on the legs.   If she is not active she should have her legs raised as much as possible on a footstool.  Another recent home treatment is honey put on the open blisters.    Does she have a good diet? Could be a lack of Vitamin B.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.