After 2 years on lansoprazole how do I stop?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been on lansoprazole for gerd etc. for 2 years and now having read up on PPI's I want to come off the drug.  I got some HC acid supplement and 2 days ago I tried not taking lanso but taking one HC capsule with both my high protein meals - all seemed well until last night when I was extremely sick - seemed very acid.  Was ok afterwards but decided had better take advice before going cold turkey with Lanso as it was very unpleasant and I felt quite ill.  Took Lanso (15mg) as usual this morning and everything seems to be back to normal!  Not sure if it was lanso withdrawal or reaction to the HC that made me suddenly so violently sick.  Any Ideas?  I am now thinking I should acome off lanso more gradually, try to adjust my diet and then try the HC acid again.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

If you are coming off you definitely have do it gradually.  When your stomach acid becomes normal I understand you will have some rebound sxs.  You should be able to look online and see various protocols for doing this but for the most part there is a common thread of doing it in stages.  Some slowly over a few weeks reduce and then switch to an H2 and then wean that.  I'm no expert but this is what I found.  Wishing you the best of luck. I'm going to stay on mine being as it reduces the chance I'll get cancer as I'm precancerous already.  If there was a way to cure the precancerous Barrettes I'd go off too.  I don't care for being on meds and I'm already tapering some which is another consideration.  Since the absorption of other meds with be involved and have an effect when one's stomach acid normalizes, I personally would run into difficulties with tapering this other meds that would have serious ramifications so if you're on other med that's a consideration as well.  I would say if I were you I'd do it only under Dr. supervision.  Its your body and your decision you have a right to make.  Just my take on this. Also I've learned some of the panic about these drugs is a bit skewed but I'm very concerned, as woman with an already damaged spine, about bone loss but its that or cancer for me.  It is probably in a different priority line up for you.  You don't have Barrettes (I'm assuming).

• Posted

Thank you for replying - I am sorry you have Barrettess, I know this adds a whole dimension to the problem I have.  As you surmised I don't have Barretts and only started Lanzoprazole after having an operation for parathyroid removal when my whole system seemed out of kilter.  My GP is not much use - "if you're feeling ok why stop it"  which is hardly the point!  I have always been against taking meds unless they were really needed, in which case I would always follow GP's suggestions, but I do feel so many people just get left on repeat prescriptions without their GP's giving proper consideration to their stopping or reducing doses.  Apart from one's own health, think how much money it would say the beleagued NHA!

• Posted

Hi. 2 main things:

1. Come off the ppi slowly, not cold turkey. So reduce your dose and stay on that for 1 month while your acid levels balance. Then reduce again and so on. Use Zantac 150mg tablets if acid gets too much.

If you dont do this you will get bad acid hyper secretion and damage your stomach and throat.

2. Don't take the HC supplement, I doubt you actually need it. This supplement will only make your stomach more acidic, which is what you don't want when coming off ppi!

Only people with diagnosed low levels of acid need to take these supplements. If you haven't got low acid then dont bother with them as they will only do more harm than good.

• Posted

Thankyou for responding...I certainly learnt my lesson about going cold turkey - interesting that quite a lot of people seem to used Zantac to help them with acid.  I have been using Rennie's when I need something to counter the acid symptoms - since  I reduced to around 7.5 lanzo (I have to open up the 15 lanzo capsule and tip half out, it then clicks back together really well!) As you say I have been doing this for 2 weeks now and also trying to work on my diet (have virtually given up bread and eat much less sugary stuff).  Thought I would try and reduce again in a week or so's time once the festive season is over as I think stress affects me.  I am dealing with large family with all that entails! Interestingly, I take my lanzoprazole first thing in morning before I have even a cup of tea, then I seem mostly to go through the day and sometimes well into the evening until I need a Rennie's. Occasionally I need the Rennies earlier - hence my comments about stress.  Did you have the same problem?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.