In pain again

Posted , 7 users are following.

Had my hip replacement in may and all seemed well until about 3 weeks ago , getting awful pain again in groin area but only intermittently, one minute it's fine the next I can't bare any weight , nurse practitioner thinks it's muscular and given me some gel I'm not so sure now , any suggestions?

2 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

"Muscular" covers a whole load of sins! Did she say anything else? What is the gel and what are you to do with it? Can you describe the pain?

To be honest, if you aren't happy with what she said you should see your GP.

• Posted

If you're unable to bare weight? that's gotta be more than muscle. What have you been doing? Anything out of the ordinary? I suggest seeing dr just to be sure all is well with your hip. Please come back and let us know. Best of luck and hope it's nothing serious.

• Posted

It really doesn't. You would be stunned at the job that the muscles in the hip area do. If you even pull the "right" muscle you could not only lose weight-bearing capacity, you could even end up with a "dead leg" - as in the inability to independantly move the leg at all. The bones are the framework that enable us to weightbear but it is the musculature that makes it happen. Without them we are jellyfish with bones!

• Posted

Ask for xray, if that shows bones are all OK then you can take it from there but the fact its bad enough to take away your ability to walk says it needs sorting, do you have to resort to crutches when its hurting
  • Posted

She thinks?

Did anyone do a x-ray to see if your hip shifted?

Then all I could advise is see a doctor...

• Posted

You sound like me. Surgery in may but my awful groin pain started in august. Ive had extensive tests. Bone scan, mri, and got 2 second opinions that my implant was fine. I have iliopsoas tendinitis. A lidocaine injection into tendon resolved the pain for few hours. I have rested and been on cane since. My pt was adjusted. Since not better in 3 months i am getting steroid injection into tendon in a few days. If this is what you have, really need to rest. Google groin pain after thr. It is not uncommon.
    • Posted

The Dr was hopeful it would go away. It has not for me. I was told to take antiinflamatories every day, totally rest that leg - stop strengthening exercises. For me it was the flexor tendon. Really rest rest rest. I've been struggling with it for 3 months so am now getting an injection. 

I also have a job where I am on my feet all day. When this happened my leg was so painful I had my doctor write a note that said no more that 4 hours on my feet. So I went down to part time and still am on that schedule. If you live in the US, you have some job protection is you need to do this. One question, are you tall and thin with very little body fat. I;ve run into a few people with this who fit that profile.

• Posted

There's also some in the UK. Assuming that the user name is an accurate statement of their work though, it may be difficult to easily adjust the job.

• Posted

hi barmaid ..

aww ... so sorry to hear this ...

I remember you having a very physical job - long hours on your feet, lifting barrels etc... could you have over done it ? 

You had your surgery in May and your body is still healing ..

A great deal of the recovery takes place in the first two-three months, but complete return to normal takes longer.

Bone around the metal parts keeps changing and remodeling for 1 to 2 years after surgery, which is why it is possible you can feel pain and aches sometimes ..

How is  your other hip?

does the gel help?

Please let us know how you are getting on, okay?

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Hi there I've had this also saw my GP won't see

nurse you need to get sorted ,he checked scar

area ,arranged x ray and all was fine just every

thing coming back together(just ha) don't over

do it use crutch if need to on bad day.

Last week could hardly put any weight on new

hip from standing persevered used crutch as to

not agrevate any more than need, this week gone.

It's strange all these different feelings that we're

having to endure I'm 19weeks post ,big hugs xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.