Had PIP assessment

Posted , 4 users are following.

Well had my PIP assessment few weeks ago....have been on PIP for 18 months after I had a stroke without interview..but after it expired had and health had worsened had to go in for assessment. Worried myself sick on run up, assessment was TERRIBLE, was surprised to have assessment done by only a nurse, was very prying which I suppose was expected. Cried more or less throughout, luckily had my partner there to help me. Was a real struggle from start to finish, really struggled with the questions and I get very confused easily, so started to panic. Then I got asked to stand up and touch my toes!!!!!!! Was very bizarre. Of course I cudnt touch my toes and my coordination is very off. Left physically and mentally drained and ended up bed ridden for 3 days after. Now have to wait for outcome. Felt quite annoyed that it was just a nurse as she didn't understand at all my medical problems.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

my mother is currently waiting on an assesment that is scheduled for the 2nd of december she suffers from severe C.O.P.D and  club feet  she can barely walk 10 metres she has osteoathritis in her neck and spine that she has regular epidural injections for shes currently under a neurologist for migraines and black outs a dietician due to very severe weight loss and has to have the ensure drinks she takes the highest dosage of citalopram 40mg for anxiety and depression she also has cumpbling hips athritis and carpel tunnel in both hands athritis in her knees.

now i am her full time carer i had to give up my job as a post man to take care of her but we still find ourselves worrying on a daily basis about her pip claim i know if they do their job properly and award the points correctly  then she should be awarded enhanced care and mobility but from the horror stories i have read i would be lying if i said i wasn't scared.

i would also add that she has been on dla since 1992 and suffers from incontinance feacal and urine.

i know how you feel and hope you get the result you want  i will also update this when my mother gets her result  best of luck to you and everyone else going through the horrible pip waiting game

• Posted

Thank you john, I hope u also get result you want.

It was awful I have to admit, but not good at talking about myself. The nurse who did the assessment was really nice but the questions where fired at me and I felt very scrutinised. I am currently waiting for another brain scan as the stroke has unfortunately left me with long term problems which I explained but find it quite hard to get my words out face to face so was all very stressful. Asked a few silly questions which made me feel very stupid which I found quite degrading but she kept emphasising that she had to ask set questions!! As I said I cried mostly throughout, which was quite embarrassing, really could not have got through it without the support of my partner being there.

Who knows what the result will be, again I have heard so many horror stories on people's outcome.

Hope your mum's goes well.

• Posted

.........the questions where fired at me and I felt very scrutinised..... Asked a few silly questions which made me feel very stupid which I found quite degrading........... I cried mostly throughout, which was quite embarrassing, really could not have got through it without the support of my partner being there.

?I too have had so called medics try that on with me at my assessments/re-assessments. Unfortunately because of how my mental health is my first reaction is to retaliate if I feel threatened in any way- not in a physical way but certainly in a way that would make the aggressor (assessor) feel rather a little uncomfortable I would imagine. Obviously that attitude doesn't help but that is how I have been left. I have never had anybody go into any assessment with me as it is my assessment not theirs.

?Unfortunately I have always had refusals which had to be appealed.  

• Posted

well got my mothers results today she was awarded enhance care  and no mobility  even though she should have been awarded mobility. but we are happy as when she was getting DLA she was only getting higher rate mobility which was ok but this care award is a significant increase in what she was getting so we have decided to accept the award and not appeal as i dont feel we can go through this any longer as its very draining
    • Posted

Isn't that wierd? I am amazed at how these assessments produce such results. Your mum had high mobile and nothing for care with her DLA and now gets nothing for mobile and high for care under PIP.

?That makes about as much sense as my results. I had high care and high mobile under DLA and nothing under PIP. My assessment was awful, she tried to trip me up with her questions and tried to answer for me until I bit and told her that she was supposed to treat me with respect and not as a criminal.

• Posted

i would also like to add that my mothers assessment was carried out by a woman who introduced herself as a paramedic  sent by atos to carry out the health assessment she was very polite and wasn't at all horrible or judgemental  she asked my mother to carry out the physical side of the test which she attempted with very bad results to which the paramedic said please stop i have seen enough my mum wa pleading with her to carry on the tests as she thought it would go against her but the paramedic assured her it wouldn't and that she didn't want my mother to hurt herself  as she could clearly see it was causing her severe discomfort.

i am kind of in the mind that the accessor has made up their mind to fail somone before they even see them .

im just glad its all over and hope you all get the results you are entitled to as these tests for me are a form of torture on the genuine disabled of this country who instead of getting the help they so desperatly require are being treated like common thieves

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.