Strange "pop" in my head, then dizzy for 4 weeks since.

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello there.  I'm worrying about this long-lasting dizzy spell I'm having.  Its very strange, and has lots of different accompanying side effects.

Just after I caught a cold here at school, I work in the IT department at a school (caught a cold of one of the students here - cover your month next time!!).  Well, I was talking to a few students when something went "pop" in my head, I got a sudden rush of dizziness, very very bad.  If I was standing, I would have fallen. Anyway, since this I have kept this dizzy feeling 24/7.  But, its accompanied by a heavy feeling in my noise.  Soon as I wake up I can feel my nose closing up, then the dizziness comes.  Its worse when I look at a computer screen.  I can still walk/talk and go to the gym - in fact, when In the gym it feels like its gone. 

Now, to the more worrying symptoms -  I still get these "pop" feelings, although not as bad as the first one, but it seems to bring back then dizziness.   Now, when in bed, if I hear a loud noise, it makes me dizzy, if I move my head quickly, it makes me dizzy.  This is awful, horrendous to be living like this.  I feel sorry for any of you that have had to deal with this for years.  I'm feeling like I could collapse writing this email !

Now, due to the poping rushing feeling in my head, I do think this is something to do with my ears, however, my nose seems to close up as a symptom.

Has anyone else had this?   I was told by the doctor, who was smiling at the time, I might have to put up with this for the rest of my life.  I would rather be dead!

I have been given Procholorperazine from the doctors, I also have an ENT appointment in a few weeks. 

Thanks for any and all help.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

It could very well be a Eustachian tube problem.  ENT will confirm this.

Eleftherios S. Papathanasiou, PhD, FEAN

Clinical Neurophysiologist

Fellow of the European Academy of Neurology

• Posted

Hello Eletherio, firstly I would like to say "Hi" and hope you are having a nice day, and secondly I would like to say thanks for the suggestion.  It does indeed give me an avenue to go down.   Being a Neurophysiologist, could I ask another question, kind of related to my issue.  A while back I had an MRI, it showed some small white Foci in my brain - only a few small white dots, nothing to be worried about - so I was told by my Neuro at the time - as they are not located in the same areas as MS patients, and that they are not uncommon. This MRI was done about 2 years ago, is there a possibility that these (or new white foci) could be blocking blood vessels in my brain, leading to this "popping" sensation.  If I did have more of these?  Can these Foci, that appear in White Matter cause this?  I have no other symptoms associated with any kind of neurology disorder – my memory, cognitive ability and physical health are working fine.

I know this question is diffifcult for you to answer, but thank you very much indeed all the same.

Have a nice day,

Spencer

• Posted

Hello Brenda,

I know my question was awfullly vague, and there are so many possiblities; without any solid facts it will be hard for Etherio to answer.  So, Etherio, please do not feel like you have to answer my question, as you will basically be shooting in the dark, and I know you will not want to do that.  I will make an appointment with a Neuro after the ENT if I still have this.  This dizziness just came on kind quick, and got me a bit concerned that is it.

Spence

• Posted

The small white matter lesions are not causing this.  As you said, this finding is common even in patients with no related symptoms.  

Eleftherios S. Papathanasiou, PhD, FEAN

Clinical Neurophysiologist

Fellow of the European Academy of Neurology

• Posted

i had the same issue ent tells me my tube looks good but theres no way my tube is almost always clogged even for a few seconds i need help this is not good

• Posted

this happens to me almost two years ago exactly how you described it now i have fluid running in my ears and nose that can only be see once in a blue but never by ENT doctors i have had MRI CT scan cam up my nose they can not see it but i feel it. ever since i heard the pop the symptoms are getting worse and im dizzy the headaches are so bad its a list of things but i have no answers let me know if u get ansers

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.