Underactive Bladder

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi, I've been suffering with an Underactive. Bladder for several months now. For example, the other day I had only voided 150ml by 4pm after having drank a litre up to that time. Today I have just been to the bathroom at 12.30pm and having drank 3/4 litre, I only voided 90ml. This happens most days. I have seen the Doc several times, the Bladder Nurse, and last Monday, the Urologist. Urologist checked my bladder and kidneys. They were fine he said. He checked my flow and output. Both were fine. But then they would be when I drank a lot more than usual in such a short space of time. Of course this is necessary for an ultrasound bladder scan. I couldn't convince the Urologist of the problems I am having with low voids and not wanting to go all day. I usually drink about 1500ml per day. Also, whilst urination is minimal during the day, it comes back to normal in the early hours when finally I can empty my bladder. I think it's an anxiety problem and during the day Im really worried and upset about it and subconsciously tensing up my sphincter or something then of course at night when I've been asleep, I'm totally relaxed and things come back to normal. I told the Urologist I am obsessed with the problem. To which he simply said don't be! Thing is I'm scared that my low voids during the day will stop all together or all the fluid "Retained" in my bladder will trigger and OAB episode or that my bladder will be damaged. Just makes me wonder if the ultra sound was enough to detect worse problems or even if they missed something. But this has been going on since July now. As things stand, I'm waiting for the Doc to get the letter back from the Urologist. Strangely though, I can bring on urination by laying on the sofa for an hour or so. This also points to tension causing my problems as I'm relaxed when I'm layed down. Has anyone else had similar problems to this?

1 like, 34 replies

34 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Do you have meals that have a substantial amount of sodium in the morning and at lunch?   That would cause your body to absorb and retain liquid.  And do you take any medication that is a diuretic in the evening, or eat foods with that effect?  I suspect there's an explanation to be found that's probably benign.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply glenn77. I will get back to you tomorrow.
    • Posted

Hi glenn, No, nothing like you mention, not even a packet of crisps. No medication either. Very strange. However I noticed yesterday that if I drank a lot in a short space of time, like I had to do for last week's bladder ultrasound, I managed a void of 350ml approx an hour or 1.5 hours later! I wondered if it was nerves that caused this to happen last week so I tried it again yesterday at home. No nerves and it happened just the same. I drank 1.5 pints in about 30 minutes. But of course I can't do that all the time!

• Posted

There is a link between Vitamin B12 Deficiency and urinary retention.

Someone on another forum wrote

B12 deficiency can cause bladder dysfunction! I think this is important!

I just discovered from my doctor that bladder dysfunction can be caused by B12 deficiency. It can cause all sorts of neurological changes, including both incontinence and retention. I was diagnosed last week with pernicious anemia. It probably does not explain IC in general, but could be causing or contributing to the poor bladder muscle contraction I have, along with some PFD which was also discovered today..

I think also that if you type "eurogenic bladder" in gthe search box at the top right of the page it will lead you to another section where it shows a B12 connection.

I know something of the effects of B12 Deficiency on the nervous system as I''ve had Pernicious Anaemia for 45 years and it is the nervouse system that controls many of our bodily functions.

I suggest you ask your doctor to test your serum B12 and serum Folate levels if for no other reason than to rule them out as the cause of your urinary problems.

I wish you well for the future.

• Posted

Hi clivealive, Many thanks for this info. I will have to look into this. Something has got to be causing this problem hasn't it. I will definitely be looking into what you have said about Vit B 12 and Neurogenic bladder. Interesting though that I can have big voids when I drink too much in a short space of time. Thanks again.

• Posted

I see in one of your replies that you have had a hip replacement.  Do you know what type of anaesthetic they used?  Was it nitrous oxide?

nitrous oxide (gas and air) is the only anaesthetic I am aware of that interacts badly with Vitamin B12

nitrous oxide is a super-oxidiser when it comes to B12 and converts it to a form that the body cannot use, so if you had an absorption problem and couldn't replace your the oxidised B12 with new B12 then it would be a permanent problem. 

• Posted

Had a spinal clivealive. In fact I had a spinal for both hip replacements! Left was done in Dec 2014 and right was done on 28th April this year. No sedation for either op. I see what you mean though about the nitrous oxide.
  • Edited

Perhaps the standing position isn't the best for you when you need to urinate. But it seems your problem is correcting itself

• Posted

Hi there g.90572, One thing is for sure, I can't be in a position where I need to lay down for an hour to bring on urination every few hours. It's strange though that this works, as does drinking a lot in a short space of time.

This all started after my hip replacement at the end of April by the way. I also notice there are very few urge sensations in my bladder and they seem to be low down in my urethra. I can feel them after I've layed down for a while. I'm not saying my low voids are linked to the op though but I think the lack of feeling could be. Thanks for your comments.

• Posted

Yes I'm aware of this. My hip replacements are both titanium/ceramic. If my problem was down to the metal being toxic, surely it would have taken longer to affect me. Op was on a Thursday and the problem started on the following Monday. Not only that but I had a titanium/ceramic hip replacement 18 months earlier without problem.

• Edited

Maybe something shifted. Just a thought. I'm glad you are not part of the toxicity problem

• Posted

No I'm not part of the toxicity problem. I wonder what could have shifted?

• Posted

Maybe you just have to give it time and it'll straighten itself out. Meanwhile get your vitamins checked as was suggested

• Posted

Yes maybe time is the answer and I will definitely speak to the Doctor about my vitamins when I see him. Even that's a big job these days, getting a Doctors appointment. Our surgery has 15,000 patients and trying to get through on the phone for an appointment at 8am or 11am or even onine at 6.30pm the night before, is almost impossible. However I will try at the end of the week in hope that the Doc has heard from the Urologist by then. It was last Monday I saw the Urologist. He wasn't really interested in my worries.

• Posted

When you call and get somebody on the line ask what's the best time to call for the next time

• Posted

Problem is, they've already made it clear that to get an appointment, you have to ring at 8am or 11am. The appointments are all gone by 8.30am or 11.30am. The phone lines are all engaged straight after 8am and 11am. So I've actually at 11.45 before today . That way I can speak to the receptionist if I'm lucky and ask her to get the Doc to ring me back. Then he will tell me to go see him if he thinks it's necessary.

• Posted

I use to have a feature on my phone that called and called until it got an answer. Maybe there's an app for that or start calling 5 minutes early

• Posted

Amazingly I tried ringing 5 minutes early and the receptionist was having non of it!! But I will see if I can find an app that does what you mentioned.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.