I had broken my ankle

Posted , 6 users are following.

I feel everyone’s pain. I also broke my ankle in four places four months ago.  I  had two surgery and have three screws and a plate.  I just started walking on it. Going to P/T twice a week. I have no pain but my ankle swells up and it gets stiff.  Is that normal.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi. I'm sorry to hear about your injury. I have a similar timeline with three breaks, two plates and screws. Pain has subsided for the most part but my ankle swells and is stiff. My surgeon has said it takes up to a year to feel like yourself again. My understanding is the swelling and stiffness is part of it for a while. 

• Posted

Hi Marilyn. I reckon it must be. My surgery - similar to yours was also four months ago. I have plate & 8 screws plus two large screws on inside ankle.

I've been walking a while now and have no limp and no pain and very little swelling although ankle bones look bigger than other foot and I suspect always will be now. But ankle gets very stiff and I end up sort of shuffling along. I'm ready then to sit down and rest it.

Some days are better than others. And standing in one spot is not good either - ankle doesn't like that at all.

But I'm 72 so think I've done pretty good so far,especially as exactly three months prior to my fall downstairs I had a total right hip replacement! And am now waiting to go into hospital for the second hip replacement sometime in Feb. I shall be bionic!!

• Posted

I am now 8mos from surgery for similar injury.  At 3 mos what you are exoeriencing is perfectly normal.  I walk normally now and play golf. I have no pain.  I have minor swelling, some stiffness when sitting too long and was told that could take a year or more to subside.  Be religeous about your PT.
  • Posted

I'm not there yet. I hear it takes a while. May I ask the distance between the two surgeries?

• Posted

yes, it is. It took about a year for the swelling to completely subside in my ankle.

Elevation above your heart and ice.

A support stocking to the knee will help. Put it on before you swing your legs out of the bed in the morning.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.