Swollen area over incision area 2 weeks post-op. Feels soft. No redness or indication of infection.

Posted , 7 users are following.

I am two weeks post-op today. The pain is not really an issue. However the area right around my incision is really swollen. No indications of infection. I also get slight warm tinges in my thigh muscle similar to the feeling one gets when you pull a muscle. I also occasionally hear some clacking. Don't know whether that is coming from knee of hip joint. Otherwise I am walking with a cane and actually felling pretty good.

Has anyone else had similar symptoms 2 weeks post op? And/or what were your symptoms?

2 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

I had lots of swelling but if it's not hot and looking infected I'd say you're good to go! HoweverI would get it looked at ASAP just to be sure. Confidence and peace of mind are very important in recovery.Good luck.x

• Posted

Hello Erin,

I'm 2 weeks post thr on both hips. I've got some swelling on top of both incisions even though neither one hurts. I think this is normal. Icing seems to help. Good luck.

• Posted

Erin,

I forgot to add that I thought I was getting some popping in new my right hip but it turned out to be my knee. My knee has always popped but I forgot and it took a few days to figure out it was my knee.

• Posted

Hi Erin,

I'm nearly four week post-Op now and had very similar symptoms to those that you've described. The swelling around my joint took around 2-3 weeks to subside, and the bruising took another week or so to pass down from my knee all the way to my foot. For me this all took until now to really settle down. Similarly I had no signs of infection and eventually it just went away.

I also had a slight feeling (rather than sound) of clicking/clacking which has died off now. I couldn't tell if it was my knee, my new joint or even muscles/tendons/ligaments around that area. It does seem to have mostly gone away now as I've starting walking more and building the muscle back up, it was maybe just another associated post-operative symptom.

I hope you start to see an improvement on both fronts in the next week or two.

Chris

• Posted

Chris:

Yes the doctor has referred to it as a hematoma. Some blood and other fluids

Seeped through thr internal stitching and is trapped in an area below the

External or top stitches. He did say ice and compression is the remedy. In time, several weeks, it will resolve itself.

• Posted

infection wil be red, have heat to touch....if neither of these, nothing to worry about.

Two weeks? I am impressed!

• Posted

Thanks. It is a huge improvement to my pre surgery pain and conditions.

I have even walked wo a cane. But my doctors caution that even if feeling good this early period is critical

To go slow as the joint is settling. That is the clacking I am feeling. I am encouraged for sure.

• Posted

Hi Erin, 

good for you that you saw  your doctor and have it sorted ...

during this surgery  tissues were cut, handled and pulled around and can cause fluid build up in the hours afterwards. This can stay or ebb and flow for days and even a couple of weeks. 

In addition increased blood and lymph flow as healing happens because there is increased circulation bringing plentiful blood cells, plasma and lymph into the area to supply nutrition and oxygen - all needed for the creation of scar and repair tissue....

Amazing, isn't it?

As for the clicking sensation in the hip, I was told that this can happen from a tendon, called the psoas tendon, is rubbing against the new hip.

I am aware of  it when I stand up and take the first steps ... 

You are still early in recovery though and it looks that you  are really doing great -

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Renee:

Thank you for the feedback. You seem well versed in the surgery and the physioological process. Yes it is amazing!

And very interesting feedback regarding the clacking noise. I am going in tomorrow for my 2 week follow-up.

Take care,

• Posted

How did it go at the doctor's, Erin?

think of you

renee

• Posted

Renee

It went very well. It is a hematoma and take 4-5weeks to resolve itself.

At 4 weeks the doc says it is OK to start some light indoor cycling. Also some walking in a pool.

It is amazing how well one can feel but it can also be a trap. A trap in that you will push yourself more than you should.

You will then set yourself back. So, a slow go is in order.

Thank you

• Posted

that is great, Erin ..

so tru, we do push ourselves too much sometimes, but how else do we find out our bounderies ...

however, when it hurts, stop what you are doing ...

as said many times before: liten to your body ...she knows best 

• Posted

Hi Erin,

I'm eights weeks post op and I did, at three weeks, develop an infection to the top of my incision which was caused by a piece of suture. The area was bright red, swollen, throbbing and extremely painful. It also became puss filled. Please do not despair, if you had an infection, you would, like me, be in no doubt.

Any doubts about anything come to this site. There will always be someone to offer support.

Wishing you a full recovery.

Love Maureen x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.