RTHR twice in 14 days, 10 weeks p.o. with thigh numbness and pain

Posted , 11 users are following.

So, I have, well had, avascular necrosis in both hips. The right one was definitely worse. I had a thr on Aug 30, 2016, it became infected and on Sept 12, 2016 the took most of the hardware out and replaced it. Now 10 weeks post op and I have a lot of upper thigh pain and numbness from the top of my thigh to my knee. Walking is painful and difficult. Feels like I am sitting on a roll of paper towels! Not looking forward to having the left one done, and will not ever let this doctor touch me again.

1 like, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

See your G.P,although I felt like I was balanced on top of plastic pillars for 2mths! It passed forme-but get it checked.Good luck! X
    • Posted

I will not be going back to the surgeon. He left me in the hospital for 4 days, refusing that it was his hip that was infected. Then told me that if we had done a scan the first day I was in the hospital, we could have possibly not had to do a second surgery. But I do have an appointment in January for my left hip, and I will be seeking a second opinion on my right!
  • Posted

Dear Brian

I wish I could offer you some constructive advice; unfortunately, I can't. All I can do is wish you well and offer support.

Everyone on this site will be rooting for you.

Please keep us updated.

Love Maureen

• Posted

Brian, I agree it is a good idea for you to find a different surgeon for the second hip, and to get a second opinion on your right hip. A certain amount of pain and difficulty walking can be expected at 10 weeks out, but it sounds like yours may be excessive. It's always a good idea to get appropriate professional help, and it sounds like your original surgeon is not the one you ought to be going to.

I was never able to walk without pain and a limp after my THR in July 2015. I had to go to a different surgeon for a correct diagnosis of why, since my original surgeon couldn't figure out what was wrong. Turns out that I had tears of my gluteus medius and minimus tendons that were definitely NOT there before my THR, but happened immediately afterwards, somehow. I had repair surgery with that new surgeon on Oct 27, 2016 and will be able to take the brace off in a week and a half. Then, when I am allowed to put full weight on the surgical leg again, I'll get to start rehabilitating that leg and see if eventually I'll be able to walk without aids.

These THRs are definitely not easy, and there can be serious complications. We need to keep pushing the professionals for proper diagnoses and treatments.

• Posted

I agree Annie. I think one of the biggest problems with some surgeons today, is the fact that they are built up by paitients and medical personal and if they operate on enough people without immediate issues, they get this air of superiority and basically act as though they can do no wrong. This surgeon told my hospitalist on the day I was admitted to the hospital with 104 degree temp, she asked him if there was a scan they could do. He told her no, and what good would that do anyways? It was too early to be his surgery… turns out it was, and I laid there for 3 more days before they scanned… and another 4 to recover from a second surgery…
    • Posted

That is absolutely traumatic, Brian. Wishing you the best as you work towards a complete recovery.
  • Posted

Paper towels?  That's a new one .... I have had golf balls or rocks, and now have a lamp-post ...... but nothing as soft as paper towels.

I'm afraid these pains and upper thigh pains are VERY common - I had my hip done Oct 2015, with revision Jan 2016, and I still get the lamppost feeling.

Graham

• Posted

Hi Graham

What does the lamppost feel like? I had the golf balls and rocks but glad to say 15 weeks tomorrow and everything feels great!

Regards Polly

• Posted

Hi Brian

sounds awful what you are going through. If you can get a good surgeon and a second opinion all the better. I am 14 weeks post op right hip and had left hip done nearly 3 years ago. Both done in Oxford by a fantastic surgeon. I feel really good now..

Good luck with who you choose next.

Regards Polly

• Posted

I. just three weeks tomorrow from my LTHR for the same reason. I trusted my surgeon totally and I am really over the moon with the outcome. He was very, very careful about infection because there were some unexplained markers in my blood back in July when my hip collapsed that indicated there MIGHT be an infection. Despite all my blood counts being perfect three times before the op, he still packed my hip with antibiotics just to be sure.

?I haven't had any pain or numbness, although reading here that seems common. But I do have the Himalayas underneath me when I sit down! Even the smallest crease in fabric underneath me and I fell I am sitting atop the whole range. It's only just noticeabe when walking, and I guess it will pass. Again people seem to say it's common.

Regardless of whether he is a good surgeon or not, surgery is a partnership, and if you can't trust him you absolutely need another one.

• Posted

Interestingly enough, the infection I was said to have was a bacteria commonly found in std's. Which according to the infectious disease doctor I have been seeing, he said that it is not possible for an std to infect a deep joint replacement… he said that the only way I could have had that bacteria introduced to my being was during surgery or when I was in the er a few days after my surgery. Those er docs took my surgery bandage off (it was leaking and oozing junk) and then left me open for about 30 minutes in the er…

• Posted

I like to think of myself somewhat of a surgery veteran. I have had an operation both ankles, my left shoulder 5 times, my right shoulder twice, my gall bladder removed, and now my right hip twice. So I feel like I can safely say, this was a crappy surgery… if I could post pictures I would should what my hip loomed like after the first surgery… well the bandage at least... I feel for everyone who has cancer and other diseases, I had a pik line in my arm for 6 weeks, with weekly blood draws and daily antibiotic injections… and the there people in there getting treatment all day… even with the issues at hand, I feel blessed.
  • Posted

Brian...did you by chance take any medication for osteoporosis?

Twice I have dealt with osteo necrosis...intensely painful, infections that went on and on, long term repercussions.

Perhaps you will consider gel packs from the pharmacy..no ice, no leak, flat so kinder, hold cold longer...I would suggest medium rectangular, four so that two are freezing while two are out. Intense icing will help...hugs

• Posted

The MRI showed that both hips were dying, the right femur head was 50% dead and lit up like a light bulb, the left showed initial signs of dying. They said there was no medication for it, other than pain meds. But getting doctors to agree on anything is like trying to get a Chevy lover to buy a Ford… 😛

• Posted

chuckle chuckle...before this,,were you ever treated for osteoporosis...an adverse side effect of these drugs is osteo necrosis

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.