increased pain post LTKR

Posted , 9 users are following.

Am nearly 3 months post surgery now. Doing ok and have been discharged from clinic by surgeon. Am still having physio to try to improve both bend and straightening, have been attending a group class for knee problems which is various circuit type exercises. Movement has maybe slightly improved but have noticed that general pain levels have increased again, and knee sometimes seems warmer than the other. Not sure if this is just the exercises working or if I should be concerned

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I'm 9 months post op and am still experiencing pain and not walking very well.

I was told by a registrar that in 2% of cases they may need to replace the knee cap. No way - not after all I've been through.

He also say 2% of patients are not happy with their new knee. What that was supposed to mean I don't know?

I would be happy if I wasn't in so much pain and discomfort

Before the op, my general health was fine but now I feel so worn out all the time. It's making me depressed. Even if I was tired before the op, I could make energy as the day went on. Now it's the opposite - I get drained and have to lie down. At times I'm walking like I'm drunk!

He's arranging for me to have hydrotherapy

• Posted

Hi Mary, I think if the surgeons and others concerned with our rehab were honest, which I don't think they are, they would admit that there are lots more people who do not sail through these ops, whether it is hip or knee with out some problems, the impression they give is that within a month or so you will be leaping around like a gazelle, and be pain free.

But then you read reports giving out figure for the reality of it all and its not any where near as good as it should be.

Hope you both feel better and pain free soon.

Pain is extremely debilitating.

• Posted

Agree.  This should be a subject for Dateline exposing the fact that what the surgeons say is a bunch of Horse Hockey.  

There should be a sign in their offices saying, PATIENT BEWARE.

Just my 2 cents

• Posted

Hi Judy.

I think your right but if we all knew at the start there would be a lot less going through with the op.

• Posted

Not nescassarily, it might mean they have to be better at it so you do get what your told you will get, a surgeon who doesn't just see his patients as numbers and is conscientious enough to follow through with the after care as well, many do of course, but some just whizz through and don't take enough care and get it wrong.

• Posted

Normal...normal...normal.  As you push it to get better ROM it will hurt just like any other PT session.  Some of this may help...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/the-tkr-experience-or-wish-i-had-another-kidney-stone--524499

• Posted

Chico at 9 mont6hs I would expect to be pain free and enjoying the benefits of having TKR, just saying smile

• Posted

hi robyn81044 as i just had my 2nd tkr and are 3 weeks p/o getting the first half of clips removed today, and what a diffrence between no1 and no 2, i am already taking small walks unaided like to toilet or kitchen witch was impossable with no one i do physio until it starts to hurt then stop i ice alot and when i lay down elevate the leg do not overdo anything i am so suprized  about the 2nd op that i wish it on all the others who still has to go please di it makes your life so much easier
    • Posted

Hi Danie61, Thats great news, I hope that your recovery continues to be a breeze for you, you are so lucky!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.