Not yet diagnosed properly

Posted , 18 users are following.

Hi, I'm here because I have suspected glandular fever.

Last Monday night I more or less collapsed into bed freezing, I had to sleep in my clothes and slippers and couldn't move at all, I've never felt exhaustion like it. I thought I was just over tired.

The next morning couldnt move from vbed at all, nor have I been able to stay up all day since. 

My glands are up in my groin, neck, behind my ears and armpits ( I can feel the pain there on and off) and my doctor today confirmed they were all up.

I've had a fever on and off.Sore throat (but not too bad, just sore).

For me it's the exhaustion and gland pains. I also have pain under my ribs, which is something I've never had before.

If I walk to the kitchen to make tea, or attempt to have a bath I'm so exhausted afterwards that I feel like I'm going to die. I get so dizzy and unsteady too sad

I was just wondering if this does sound like glndular fever or just flu? I'm having bloods done on friday.

I've had plenty of flus before, but they've never felt like this sad

1 like, 788 replies

788 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi ShabbyChic,

It sounds like you may but its still a good idea to have a monospot test done to confirm infectious mononucleosis/gladular fever. With that knowlege, you can rest a bit easier. 

Your symptoms sound very similar to mine during the accute phase. I could barely stand to get a drink of water or go from the bed to the couch. Its been 5 months since my infection and I still have various symptoms. Best advice which would be shared among other members here is to rest, drink lots of water, eat healthy, try to move your body but dont push it and be patient! You could be over this in weeks or many months. Its also a great idea to talk to community members here and listen to their stories; makes your situation a lot less lonely. 

• Posted

Hi there,

So sorry to hear you have been feeling so unwell, you're doing the right thing going to get some blood tests done that will tell you if it's glandular fever or not. Don't worry though because any kind of flu or virus can knock you for six, quite often glandular fever isn't as aggressive if you like although very debilitating.

Just rest up for the meantime, try not to let your mind wander, even if it is glandular fever you will recover, and I do believe you will recover, it could just be a nasty nasty flu or other non-serious virus which can hit you for six and take a few days / weeks to get your strength back from. Try not to worry and just take the doctor's advice - you're doing the right things so just rest and take care of yourself in the meantime, get plenty of rest / sleep and take some Vitamin C / a good multi vitamin if you are able to. You will get better don't worry!

Take care and thinking of you

Craig

• Posted

Hey both, thank you for your replies smile

Today I thought I was having a good day, I slept all day got up and felt okish. My glands hurt but I was able to make a few cups of tea. Tonight though I've gone really dizzy and weird feeling and just need to lay my head down. My glands in my neck and groin seem to hurt the most today.

I feel like I'm getting better, I go to feel ill again.

The pains I had under my right rib have gone though.

• Posted

Hey Shabby Chic,

Just take it easy at the moment whilst feeling this way, as Jeffrey said do make sure you see the doctor and get a monospot blood test if you haven't already as that will confirm if it's glandular fever. Even if it is though you will recover, but it can require a bit of patience and just being sensible in your activity for a while, try not to worry too much and remove as much worry and stress as possible because that can definitely contribute.

You will get better, take the doctor's advice though and get plenty of rest until you are feeling better.

Thinking of you

Craig

• Posted

Hey Craig thank you. I'm jus finding the whole illness (whatever it is) scary. 

Yesterday I went for my blood test and afterwards did a few little things around the house, today I feel so ill. My glands are up,  have a high temperature again and I just feel so weird sad So it looks like I'll have to rest a bit longer.

• Posted

Hi shabby chic. Glad you had gone for blood work. If you have GA it's wise tonat least know. It doesn't change the situation but for your mental health having a culprit helps you move forward. In the beginning of my illness I had days were I was like "I beat this" and found myself shivering in bed the next day. Don't become super excited on good days and burn yourself out, nor should you feel too depressed on the bad ones. A patient and steady attitude will help you prevail.

I'm going on 6 months post dx and I feel much improved but still find my brain fogs out or i get tired suddenly.

Craig has beat this so he offers great advice. He helped me immensely with my me mental health. Drink lots of fluid eat soup and rest!

• Posted

Hi Shabby Chic,

Jeffrey offers great words of advice too, he's a great guy! Yes as Jeffrey says it's important to know if you have glandular fever, even if it doesn't as such change your approach to recovery.

Yes most definitely worst thing you can do is try to just get up and shake it off and fight it in that way, fighting this requries to be a bit smarter in that you need to rest and be sensible with your body, reduce stress, take vitamins, rest and don't overdo your activity, because if you do too much or don't give it the respect it needs it can take longer to recover from.

But you will get there most definitely! And that goes for you too Jeffrey it's a tough tough ride but the body has amazing powers of recovery (with God's help) and everyone affected by glandular fever reading this now will have a full, complete and marvellous recovery, so just hang in there in the meantime hard as it is I know.

Take care

Craig

• Posted

Hey everyone. I just thought I'd report back. My blood tests said I had had glandular fever in my blood, the woman on the phone wasn't quite sure what it all meant, but I am seeing my Dr this week though.

After 3weeks of being ill I started to return to my old self. I'm still fatigued but I'm ok smile

I'm trying to eat really healthily now to build my strength up and I'm doing light yoga for the fatigue. I'll be returning to work next week,so I hope i can deal with it as it's a strenuous job.

• Posted

Hi Shabby Chic,

Hoping that the fatigue starts to lift a bit soon, it can take time so remember not to overdo things if you go back to work because it can set you back if you try to go into things too early - a phased return is important in such instances.

Remember still to get plenty of rest and take some good vitamins and herbs too to boost your immune system, multi vitamin and b complex always good! And siberian ginseng.

Thinking of you and hang in there - things will get back to full normality in time!!

Craig

• Posted

Hey thanks Craig smile I've been hoping that if I go back to work I'll get some energy back.

I'm just feeling so depressed though. I don't know if it's aftering being ill, after Xmas, or hormones.

I'm on antidepressants anyway, but I don't know. I just feel scared to go back to work.

I just figured that if I go back and I'm ill, they'll see for themselves and I'll get sent home.

I just feel so tearful though sad

• Posted

I'm in bed now, have to be up in a few hours and I'm

so tearful and scared. I feel so depressed.

I'm scared of dying and everything I love dying.

I'm thinking if I go to work in the morning and I'm ill I'll get sent home. I don't know how I'm going to do 6hrs work. Everything feels overwhelming all the time. Even family visiting tires me, I can't even join in anymore. On Christmas Day I had to go back to bed after being up for 3hrs. I'm dreading it all.

• Posted

Hi Shabby Chic,

I'm so sorry to hear you have been feeling so bad, but I just want to reassure you that WITHOUT ANY DOUBT you are going to get better from this. Glandular fever is a nasty virus it really is, and it can have that effect on you that you feel unable to do or cope with anything physically or mentally, it's the worst feeling it really is, I know I remember it well and was there also.

It can take time to recover, it's so frustrating I know, but despite how debilitating it is, your body does recover in time and please remember to put your health first, don't push yourself to work if you don't feel ready for it, or at least don't work full time anyway you must give your body time to recover and get plenty of rest - that's the best medicine for this, I know it's all very frustrating but no matter how bad you feel now things will get better and you will get back to full health again - I was in the exactly the same position as you at Christmas time 10 years ago, feeling so down and low and unwell after contracting the virus in October, but by the next Christmas I was virtually back to full health and able to enjoy a full life again - the same will be true for you but don't worry if it doesn't come right away, it WILL come!!!

It's sensible to be taking anti-depressants if feeling so low, you're most definitely not going to die and you have lots of life and good and happy times left in you! I'm thinking about you and I do fully believe you will get better, there is plenty of hope today and you will be able to do the things you enjoyed doing again once this terrible time passes over.

Take care and hang in there - message any time - it's going to be okay, it really is.

Craig

• Posted

Hi Craig,  thank you for being so reasssuring to me through this.

My gland on the left side of my neck is hurting today, like an achy, pulling feeling.

I'm a little worried about something though. When i went to see my doctor she said that I had had glandular fever at some point, but it wasn't showing in my blood now. Thing is I truly feel that it is mono. It feels like it. 

When the blood test lady on the phone said it looked like it was I was so relived, but when I saw my dr she said it must just be flu or a virus. 

Why do I feel so bad though. If it was reacurring GF would it show in my bloods?

I've had a really bad year this year, I've been ill with anxiety and depression, and I've started a part time foresensic psychology degree and I work part time. I've also had bad insomnia where I would sleep 1hr a night before work. It all makes me think that GF reactivated or something. 

I didn't go to work today, I called in sick today and I'm scared of losing my job. I also slept until 7pm tonight. 

• Posted

Hey shabby I think mono eventually stops showing but EBV levels show high. My mono stopped months ago but I'm still feeling off. And Craig's words ring in my head often as I go through this.

• Posted

Hi Jeff, I have no idea what levels were showing in my blood. She just said that my blood tests showed I'd had it once before, so I couldn't have it again, so it must be a flu or virus.

I've had flu before and it doesn't feel like it was that.

My glands, fatigue and aches and pains were what I felt. Along with abdominal pain and the areas where my spleen and liver were felt so uncomfortable, like there wasn't enough room in my tummy for them.

I'm just so confused.

• Posted

Hi Shabby,

As Jeffrey says (and please remember I'm not a doctor so always listen to them first), from my own experience EBV levels show positive generally only in the initial stages / weeks of the virus, however as many people on here will testify that doesn't mean to say that glandular fever always recovers in that short space of time, often it can take a number of months unfortunately. So it is very possible that your EBV levels were showing positive at the start of the virus but not now even though you are still not feeling great.

Also, I had a reactive gland in my neck which was sore for months too, it is perfectly normal with glandular fever from what I gather. It still gets sore now if I get a flu or virus, so try not to worry about that too much.

Glandular fever can cause all sorts of horrible and uncomfortable feelings in your body - I don't want you worrying Shabby, because you most definitely will get better in time. It's been a horrible time for you but it all will pass over in time - without a doubt. It's just horrible when going through it and the fact it doesn't pass over as quickly as we'd like often.

Remember that your health comes first, I can very much understand those worries about work and studies, but looking after yourself is number 1 - don't push yourself too hard just now, be kind to your body, give yourself plenty of rest and you will get there in the end, it may take a bit of time but you will - really you will and from what you have said I don't think there is anything in the long term for you to be worried about - you have done the right thing by seeing the doctor and getting blood tests done, and keep in touch with them too as things progress.

I just said in one of my other posts, and this may be of interest to Jeffrey and others too, I get a natural therapy called Bowen Therapy every few weeks. I actually first started getting it years ago after it really helped me with sciatica, but it helps with your health and energy generally. It's worth having a look into, very safe and natural therapy, very relaxing too not at all invasive - maybe worth seeing if there is someone who practices Bowen Therapy near you (unfortunately you won't get this on the health service in the UK).

Craig

• Posted

Yea mono is a simply the acute infection of EBV. Once you get over mono, EBV is with you for life. Your body, at least my take, is now a battlefield after the war. It takes time to rebuild.
    • Posted

Exactly Jeffrey, but once your body comes to terms with the virus it makes a totally dormant and doesn't affect you any more in your daily life. You can live a full and active live again and that will happen for you Shabby and also you Jeffrey, I totally believe that to be the case.

There is hope for the future today, won't always feel as hard and for everyone reading and struggling today your body WILL recover and you WILL get back to full health again (even if it doesn't come right away, try not to get frustrated because it will come)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.