night sweat for 5 weeks

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello. I have been having night sweats almost every night since my surgery 5 weeks ago. I heard that it is from the anesthesia. My GP said that it lasts one or 2 weeks.

Now, it's 5 weeks and still on. I'll ask it at check-up by gynacoloist this Friday.

Has anyone had night sweat that long? I don't think it comes from infection because I have no pain and no fever.

2 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hello there. I had a posterior repair in April. The moment they took the pack out I had a hot flush - concerned the nurse who was wary of infection! From that moment on I was plunged into a full blown menopause. I don't know why. I had no symptoms at all before - regular periods, hormone levels ok etc. I had nothing done that theoretically would affect me that way. No ovary or uterus fiddling with. But since then I have entered full blown menopause and, according to my blood tests in three months went from 0 to 1/2 way through.

?It was an unexpected side effect! So that part is/was a struggle. There seems to be no explanation for it either. I'm 53 so the time was coming anyway but it was certainly dramatic!

• Posted

When I mentioned about menopause to GP, she said No. But I have never had blood test for menopause yet. I'll talk to her again. Thank you.

• Posted

Yes I am having night sweats since surgery first surgery 8 weeks ago 2nd surgery 3 weeks ago . I am 46 use hrt as had a total hysterectomy 4 years ago and have it had night sweats since taking hrt. I hadn't realised anaesthesia could cause these , good to know

• Posted

I've had a recurrence of hot flushes since having my surgery (including hysterectomy) in February.  I'm much too old for this at 64, but I asked on here, and it was agreed that, any gynae surgery can affect you.  Years ago, I had terrible period problems after being sterilised, which the doctors insisted couldn't happen, but it did.

• Posted

There seems to be no accounting for a body's reaction does there. I had irregular periods my whole life - not awful or painful - just every 6 - 8 weeks but varying - nothing definite. (I could tell when I was due as I had a pain - presumably my ovaries 14 - 10 days before so it was never a surprise) I got sterilized and bang - periods every 28 days from then on until I had this surgery in April. Then it all stopped and into menopause. I expect to have more surgery again so who knows what will happen!! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.