Achilles tear from muscle

Posted , 3 users are following.

My achilles was torn from my calf muscle and was told it is very uncommon. I cant find anything anywhere with someone who had my same thing and discussed it. My doc said since i tore it there they dont recommend sewing the muscle back to the calf sonce it could cause damage to the muscle. Instead the rich blood flow there allows it to heal back itself. He also said your looking at getting back to 100 percent because of that. Well i got back to work after 3 months. Fully walking no problems other than having to stretch it to keep it loose. Now all of a sudden after a physical therapist class something's wrong. Swelling up. Difficult to walk mainly once my foot gets to my toes to push off alot more tightness than before. And now occasionlly a slight pop sensation in the back like if you knee cracks. Does anyone have anything similiar to me

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

perhaps is has pulled away again.

My physician would have immobilized it for 6 weeks and had me use a knee scooter.

Tendons take time to heal, they need to be absolutely still during the process, and when time, rehab should include warm up as in heating pad...warm tendons are more easily stretched.

When you stand on your toes, you are contracting the gastrocnemius muscle, not stretching it The Achilles tendon is the terminus of the gastrocnemius.

• Posted

I was in a boot for about 6 weeks till that was taken off. That one thing my pt didnt do was warm it up before this stuff besides a bike.
  • Posted

Hi, I had the same injury, and surgeon said exactly the dame as yours - no point in sewing tendon to muscle as the tendon is stronger and the muscle would tear. It was caused by playing badminton. It just went and I was on the floor unable to walk at all. This was May. I can walk fine now but still can't go up on my toes comfortably on the bad foot. There's just no strength. It still swells up if I walk too much and the heel hurts. Not had any popping sounds though. It feels like a long journey. I tore my ohter achilles a few years ago much lower down, so not attached to calf and although the initial pain was much worse, the healing felt quicker.

• Posted

Yeah 3 months in and im pushing sleds.... And going up on both toes and slowly down on the bad leg. My thought is my physical trainer went to aggressive on it

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.