Lingering shingle on my eye?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had shingles about 5 weeks ago, on my scalp, forehead, and around my eye (right side). Everything has cleared up but now I  this red strip on the lower portion of my eyeball, from the edge of the iris downward. It's mostly hidden by my lower lid but if I press there it's very tender. I saw an ophthalmologist during my illness but she said there was no evidence that shingles were in/on my eyes. Could this red stripe be a shingle that is lingering? And yes, I have an appointment to see an eye doc next week! 

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Your doing exactly what I would do. Having shingles can cause so many eye issues its better to check into it . I hope it's all good news. Keep posting

i have singles never had it near my eye . On my back and side. It's a horrible disease and it should have more research for treatments. 

• Posted

I have no doubt that at the last exam, you had no shingles in your eye....but time has past.

You have wisely made an appointment with your eye physician.

I hope you receive good news.

• Posted

Johanmi,

Without actually doing an eye exam to see evidence of Herpes Zoster-Shingles in the white part or sclera of the eye, it is difficult to say. Do you have any vision changes, such as blurred or double vision or a boring, lancinating eye pain? If so, I would see the ophthalmologist immediately. As you have redness and tenderness to palpation that was not present there before, I would again see the ophthalmologist immediately. Individuals can develop complications to shingles, and they may not manifest immediately, so call for an appointment immediately.

I have had Herpes Zoster-Shingles every three to five weeks for the past twenty years in my right ear and twice in my right eye. I am a Nurse Practitioner in the US.

Please let me know how it turns out.

Merry Juliana

• Posted

I'm going to my eye doctor on Thursday! I'm so paranoid! A coworker told me today she thought my eye looked quite red. On top of that, I have had a lot of itching on my scalp and forehead where I had shingles. I'm also still so exhausted every evening. This really took a lot out of me. 

• Posted

Johanmi,

Fatigue and exhaustion, and malaise can continue for months after the onset of the symptoms.

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Hi Merry,

Thank You for sharing all your knowledge about the many symptoms and serious effects of shingles disease 

i have shingles for several years a bugger, and have all the symptoms you described.In my case blurry vision,double vision,  pressure,tenderness itching,redness in my case has not much to tie into with shingles, thank goodness.

i just wanted to let others know that some of these symptoms could be allergies, cataracts, diabetes, and so on. Its always wise to keep a regular appt with your optamologist due to the risks shingles can have on eyes. 

Ther never has  been a better way to stay informed with this disease than to keep all doctors appointments and keep  Shingles journal.

Just a little different experience in my case. Many of us are different in response to this horrible disease.

to everyone who suffers from it I pray that it will go into remission and give us all some peace! 

Hope xxx

• Posted

Hope 4 Cure,

Absolutely,

There are so many diseases of the body and eye that can mimic each other! As this is a forum for shingles, and many have been diagnosed with shingles, I want them to be exceptionally careful when it comes to their health, advocate for themselves, prevent PHN, when possible, prevent recurring Herpes Zoster-Shingles, when possible.

I have had Herpes Zoster-Shingles in my eyes and ears, scleritis in both eyes, and severe cataracts. I also had a stroke affecting my left eye causing blurred, double, and tunnel vision. Fortunately, each time, I sought expert medical help in a timely fashion and no catastrophic permanent damage was done. I do have recurring Herpes Zoster-Shingles in my right ear every three to five weeks, but that is it. As a Nurse Practitioner/Nurse for over forty years, I have seen many things, and the saddest is when people don't take care of their health. I am also aware that many with Shingles early on in life may be immunocompromised, and not know it yet...

More research needs to be done and more education to medical professionals needs to be executed.

Best regards

Merry Juliana

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.