Snapping sound when walking near talus bone

Posted , 2 users are following.

I've been feeling a snapping sound near my talus bone in the ankle for nearly 3 months after tearing a ligament (ATFL). The 'snapping' sound occurs 70-80% of the time I'm walking, not to mention running if I actually could. Personally I feel that it has no signs of letting done after this long? I need help on this matter

X-rays and MRI scans have been done but my doctor is just labeling it as a sprain

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

you wrote that you tore the AFTL

but you later wrote that that after xrays and MRI your doctor is just labeling it as a sprain....

I am confused...did you tear the AFTL, how was this diagnosed?

• Posted

So this is what the doctor wrote

The anterior talofibular ligament (ATFL) has an amorphous appearance and is increased signal reminiscent of scarring from previous high grade tear

• Posted

She did say there is no osteochondral lesion evident, but my MRI scan was done 2months after the accident, and I'm pretty sure the affected area of the 'snap' is near the talus

• Posted

"3 months after tearing a ligament (ATFL)", "MRI scans have been done but my doctor is just labeling it as a sprain"?!

• Posted

Any other problem you have? Explain more?
    • Posted

So this is what the doctor wrote

The anterior talofibular ligament (ATFL) has an amorphous appearance and is increased signal reminiscent of scarring from previous high grade tear

Well I have problems with weight bearing, and the doctor said most of my ligaments are lax, other than the 'snapping sound' heard, it goes as loud as snapping your fingers

• Posted

She did say there is no osteochondral lesion evident, but my MRI scan was done 2months after the accident, and I'm pretty sure the affected area of the 'snap' is near the talus

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.