Internal stitch coming through

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello it's my 1st time on here but I thought I would ask if anyone else has had internal stitch come through the skin after TKR? I am 6 weeks post op & I think doing ok. Apart from an internal stitch was has come through, my Physio tried to pull it out last time (2 weeks ago) & now the wound is healing around it. Is this normal? Wi the stitch come out eventually or am I being overly sensitive about it? Anyone any ideas?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Internal stitches are usually self-dissolving and just melt away over time once the scar has healed. Yes, it isn't unusual for a scar to heal around a stitch like that and then the outside bit will just drop off eventually. I had one like that when I broke my leg. Looked strange - and all of a sudden, it wasn't there any more!

I'm surprised a physio tried to pull it out - it shouldn't go until it isn't needed any more.

• Posted

I agree, if its an internal stitch it will desolve and be gone when its ready, if its sticking a fair way out then go and see the nurse at your surgery and let them clip it off, don't you try as you might catch the skin and cause a problem.

Keep it clean though

• Posted

Quite common for internal stitches to work their way out overtime

Best to have medical professionals actually look at the situation and remove if ever say. Do everything you can to avoid infection and open wounds of any kind are an invitation for bacteria to invade and the last thing you want is an ugly staph. Take it from a guy that had to fight it twice.....the 2nd time they had to remove the prosthesis for 4 months......

• Posted

Hello, sorry to hear about your infection I hope it's all good now & you have another new joint. How awful to have to go through it all again.

I had it checked yesterday. All ok, I was told keep it clean but don't use bio oil on that bit of scar. It's right at the top of the scar so no worries about that. All in all everything's good.

• Posted

i am allergic to sutures used and mine keep surfacing right on my incision . i have to go have it clipped out each time it happens - - did some investigating and i have alpha gal so the suture used was collagen based . that is a no no

• Posted

Hi all

This might seem odd, but does anyone have any pictures of the thread popping out? My Mum's just had a knee replacement and she's read that it does dissolve, but the thread looks really thick. it doesn't 'seem' like the type of threads used in surgery? I'm far from an expert of course but I'm just trying to look for comparisons...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.