Nighttime pins and needles

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all

I wonder if anyone can help??!!!

I have recently restricted my drinking to 1 or 2 fruit ciders an evening (4% strength). I was drinking a minimum of a bottle of wine per day, up to 2 bottles or a half - 2 thirds of vodka every day for several years ( just to give you a bigger picture!)

Anyway.....since reducing this week I have had severe pins & needles which has woken me several times in the night but I don't get it during the day. Is this a side effect? I routinely drink 1-2 ltrs of water every day so dont think it's dehydration. I also routinely take B vitamin complex pill every day but should I take Thiamin aswell? Will this help?

Any thoughts or advice please?!

Many thanks

Rachel

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi.

I had the same a week or so ago and the best advice yhat i received here was see your doctor. I was stsying awake all night panicking over every single pain or feeling. You are going through a tough time just trying to do what you are doing so take some of the stress off yourself and get some guidance and readsurance from your doctor.

Well done and keep it up x

• Posted

Thank you for your response. I am reluctant to go to doctor as it goes on the record so wanted to see if there are any words of wisdom here before I explore the GP route as my last resort.

Have been to GP before and was referred to ARC which didn't suit me.

How are you doing now? Have your pains eased?

Take care

Rachel

• Posted

It so important to see a doctor your health is so important? Don't  put it off we all,have embarrassing interactions to cope with in our lives for our health and peace of mind. No one will judge you they see it ever day . Not a reason to deny yourself appropiate treatment. Simple treatment that could stop the whole issue from snowballing & becoming a serious health risk. 

You have fears we all have them . If it's important to you you will find a way not an excuse. Get healthy and stay healthy!😊

Peace & heeling sent ur way!

Hopexxx

• Posted

generally speaking, pins and needles are caused by compression to a nerve....like when you cross your leg and it falls asleep. where are the pins and needles? I admire your effort to reduce your alcohol intake.
  • Posted

Give it time Rachel, it sounds like you got it under control,and experience from past also teaches how and what to look for and eat .

sometimes the tingling can br so many other things !you covered the vit-B, it's helpful to have a blood test to check for deficiencies of vit and minerals.

medications can also bring on tingling side effects, or back nerve impingment . If this does not clear up in a few days it would be best to see a doc. Sometimes we have things going on that could cause permanent damage if left untreated. You are consuming a lot of sugar you also,should consider surger leveled in ur blood. High sugar levels can cause the symptoms too. 

I am am not a doc and don't know your medical history. Even supplamants can cause reactions.

you are doin so well restricting your alcohol intake. YOU WILL RISE !

we are all here to support you in any way to make this transition successful.

this is the time to invest in yourself, improving yourself do what it takes to stay healthy both medically and physically. You got a great start always have a backup plan we all stumble and need some one weather it's a professional, friend who understands AUD and it treatments or a group you trust.

keep posting keep talking keep up your routine ! 

Hopexxx

• Posted

Thank you Hope. I didn't think about sugar level so that's a good point! I took a Thiamin yesterday and I don't know how quick they work but I only woke once last night with pins & needles so I am hopeful.

I only plan drinking the cider for this week and then I will move onto something non alcoholic, probably alcohol free cider for a week (my placebo!!) then the week after I am aiming for regular soft drinks.

Thank you so much for your reply and support.

Rachel x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.