Escitalopram Help

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi

After 4 weeks of trying to battle with mild depression, anxiety and repetitive thoughts without them I finally gave in and I started taking escitalopram ( Lexapro) but under a different brand name 10 mg 3 weeks ago.

To begin with I messed up the way I took my meds.

I started taking by taking 10 Mg the first time at night 3 weeks ago sunday the 6th Nov but the next day I felt very anxious and lightheaded and a bit euphoric. I then got anxious about taking them and did not take the dose again the following night 7th Nov. After I spoke to my dr who said take one again at lunch the next day Tuesday 8th which I did and I felt great almost immediately within a few hours of taking it I could concentrate I was smiling and very positive.

That night Tuesday 8th Nov I made a mistake and thought I would take 5mg half of one pill to make up for the previous night where I had missed my dose of 10Mg I did not consult my Dr on this I just thought it would be ok. I went to sleep and woke up having a terrible panic attack.

I spoke to my doc in the morning of Wednesday 9th Nov who said take another whole 10mg at 12 Pm I then start taking them in the morning after this.

I have now been taking the 10mg every morning at 0800 for the past 18 days at this time I have felt very little change in how I am feeling. I actually started getting side effects such as anxiety in the mornings and throughout the day, sweaty, tingling hands and shaky hands, loss of libido and not being able to concentrate or sleep well. These are all the opposite of how I felt when I started taking the pills in the first two days where I felt much better.

My problem is I now think that by taking that extra dose of 5 mg at night and having the panic attack I over stimulated my brain by starting the medication in the wrong way and I have really effected how the drugs are working on me now and causing a lot of worry in my mind.

Do you think the way I initially started taking the meds have effected how they are working on me now by missing a dose then taking half of a dose?

The main reason I think this is because when I first took them I felt great and then that feeling went away after I took the 5mg dose.

I know many people say they take between 2- 4weeks to start to take effect but it has been 3 weeks now and I have not felt much difference.

I am still finding it hard to concentrate and I am still getting anxiety especially in the morning.

Any answers or feedback on the above would be great.

Thanks

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Marcus. i have been on escitalopram for over 4yrs with great success in preventing my depression/anxiety returning. i am on 15mg. it is VERY important to take your med in the morning like you are now (my gp & pharmacist both emphasised this.) really i would put the past behind you & start again since you started taking them in the morning. you can't change what's already done. i would give you current dose 4/5wks from when you started taking it in the morning. you will know when you are on the right dose for you, as you will simply start feeling more like yourself again. if after 4/5wks you don't feel like this, you probably need an increase in dose to 15mg day (one dose in the morning).

with escitalopram, it is common to get side effects for 2-4wks when you start it & with each increase in dose. you really do have to be as strong as you can & stick with it, as it will get better. a common side effect is feeling more anxious (especially in the morning) but this is only temporary while your body adapts to the med or change in dose.

hope this helps a bit to re-assure you.

• Posted

Hi looloo,

Thanks this does re assure me I am taking my med in the morning as precribed.

My anxiety is my real problem not so much the depression. This was brought on by two things one was having a vertigo and the other becuase I have two shoulder injuiries.

I have spoken to my Dr who who recommends that I try going up to 20 Mg ecitalopram.

If I did not have the pain in my shoulders then I would not be suffering with so much anxiety as I would be able to do the things I love doing ir sport and exercise.

I will continue with the Meds and I am seeeing what I can do to sort out my shoulders.

Also what are your thoughts on drinking while on the medication?

Thanks,

Marcus

• Posted

Hi Marcus.

firstly, I am no doc, but from my own experience, & hearing others experience on this site, a jump from 10mg to 20mg seems a bit too much. there are several of us on here that get on really well on 15mg.  also, the smaller the jump in dose, the less intense the side effects will be. escitalopram is available in 5mg tabs - i take one 10mg plus one 5mg in one dose every morning.  if you feel more comfortable with this (going upto 15mg) you can say you'd prefer to do it with that increase to your doc - you do have a say!!!!

With regards to drinking, i only really drink on a saturday night, i have about 4 maybe 5 glasses of red wine with a takeaway with my hubby, & that's it, i have no problems on the med. but if you are a regular heavy drinker most days of the week, i think it would counter-effect the med. you have to be sensible really.

• Posted

Hi Thanks,

The way I started the drug is my problem If I had started it normally I think I would have been fine. But becuase I started it as mentioned above wrong. This is playing on my mind so much  I feel as though I over stimulated my brain by taking a little bit more than the required amount on the second day.

I was a very heavy drinker but i have felt pretty rubish the last couple of times I have had a drink so I will probably not drink for a while until I have settled more.

I agree jumping to 20 could give me increased side effects but where I live you can only get them in 10 Mg.

I will consult again with my Doc.

Thanks

M

• Posted

Are you in england?  if you are i would get your doc to check on his computer again for the 5mg....... failing that, you could split a 10mg in half to do 15mg, they have a line in the middle so can be "snapped" in half, but better if you can get them to have proper 5mg tablets.  You really must stop worrying about starting your tablets incorrectly.....that has passed & wouldnt still be affecting you now - only for upto a couple of days after you stopped taking them incorrectly. its the NOW that's important. taking them incorrectly may have just set you back timewise - meaning the true picture with the meds starts from when you started taking them correctly.

too much regular heavy drinking will act as a depressant which will contradict your meds, so i would calm down on the drink. i think your right about not drinking for a while, or perhaps just treat yourself to a moderate amount like 2 or 3 pints or a couple of glasses of wine one night on the weekend. especially while you are trying to settle with the meds.

Personally speaking Marcus, if it were me, i would stay on 10mg until you've done 4wks of taking them correctly in the morning, then if you are not feeling more like yourself consistently, i would ask your doc to put you up to 15mg & see how you get on on that dose for 5wks. most meds of this kind have temp side effects which do go, & they also take time to work, so be mindful that you won't feel better right away.

• Posted

Thanks Loo,

I am not in England I live over seas. The only reason I was worrying is becuase the first two days I took the meds I felt amazing and then after miss dosing I felt worse. I just want to feel that same buzz I felt initially and its not coming back like I was back to normal again.

I have been finding it very hard to concentrate in the day time and I lose my focus all the time which is very hard with my work as I am constantly fidgeting and distracted.

I will continue as Normal and I will consult my doctor about increasing the dose to 15 mg.

I will also keep drinking to a minimal as I have been over the past 3 weeks.

Thanks again for your support and will keep you updated.

• Posted

Hi Marcus, don't worry you've not ruined your prescription drugs from ever working.

I am taking 15mg of escitalopram every morning, I like you started taking them in the evening but changed when I couldn't sleep. I started with 5mg, then 10mg two months later and then 15mg one month later. I too thought I'd got instant change and did feel change in my mood straight away, in fact I woke up laughing out loud the first time I took it and each time I increased the dose. Then my brain calmed down and it took many months before I actually started feeling truly better. You must be patient with yourself there's no quick fix here its a long process of change. I know I will never be the person I was, but its about accepting that that is ok people and life is forever evolving. Different does not mean impossible we can still lead fulfilling lives.wishing you well soon.

• Posted

may i ask you, why is your dose increasing? my doctor told me that he supposed to give me lower dose in every 2 weeks. are anxiety and depression disorder can not be cured as well?
    • Posted

Danny,

Thanks for your response. The first two times I took it I instantly fellt great naturally smilling and positive. It felt likeit had kicked in straight away. I really hope by taking that extra 5mg I have not effected its effectivness as I have been thinking about this all the time. What if I had not taken it how would I be feeling..I keep looking back and it is driving me a bit crazy.

My dr has recmmmended I can try going up to 20Mg even thoiugh I have only been taking it for just under a month.

I am going to give it a go a see how this works.

• Posted

Sorry to hear this hasn't been a great experience so far for you, Marcus.  Here's the thing... it can take up about 8 weeks for them to fully kick in and it's not at all uncommon for you to feel side effects while getting used to the meds.  I would be careful to keep to a regular schedule in any case as it helps the meds work their best.  

Hang in there.  It gets better.  Really.

• Posted

Thanks Janny,

Its defintelyt been a struggle I find the day time the worst I am am just not focussed or excited about all the things I usually love....

I have been takking the meds now over 3 weeks with little effect or change to how I am feeling. Infact I have felt worse now than I did 3 weeks ago.

I dont really have many side effects apart from being un able to sleep or concentrate for long periods of time.

My worst feelings are in the morning when I wake up  I fid it hard to get out of bed and I have lots of anxiety.

Anyway Lets see How I get on all I can do is hang in there and hope for the best.

Cheers.

Marcus

• Posted

I started on 2.5 mg after doing Fluoxetine at 20 mg for 2 weeks and the side effects were so bad on Fluoxetine I couldn't keep doing it. I've been on the Lexapro about a week and starting to have a little nauseous feeling and slight dizziness here and there.

I know I'm on a low dose and now I'm a little concerned because I'm starting to get some side effects even though not as bad as the Fluoxetine. Does everyone seem to get more side effects after a week and is this a common occurrence. I want to stick with it but am concerned I'll be worse when I up the dosage.

I guess I'm looking for people's advice on sticking it through and will it get better after another week for the side effects. I know I won't get the positive effects for a while but any advice or input would be appreciated.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.