Side effects coming off sertraline

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi...im currently coming off sertraline. I was on a low dose to begin with of 25mg. What side effects have people been experiencing? I've started to feel light headed when I stand up...dont know if this is a side effect or my bp. It doesnt happen all the time. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Clare, I was originally put on a 50mg dose of Sertraline but found the side effects too severe so I cut it to 25mg. I have since started to wean myself off the medication altogether as the side effects are worse than the symptoms I was getting before I went on it! My doctor told me with such a low dose and the fact I'd not long been on it she said I could just come off it cold turkey!! I'm glad I didn't take her advise as the withdrawals I'm getting are awful. Cold chills, muscle aches, insomnia, anxiety and irritability among others(no dizziness). I don't know which is worse, the side effects of being on it or the withdrawal side effects!

I hope things get better for you soon.

Anne

• Posted

Hi Clare,

I'm coming off 50mg Sertraline after Twelve weeks on them, I have Two weeks Supply left. So to ween myself off them I'm taking the first Seven Tablets every other day, then the last Seven every Second day. As Sertraline is one of the powerful drugs in the antidepressant family. Also I was told by a Paramedic that Sertraline can bring on as well as suppress Anxiety.

• Posted

Hi,

I've been on 50mg of sertraline for 4years. The last week I have cut down to 25mg. I'm feeling light headed, emotional, anxious and just plain weird. Are you having these same feelings? Just want to know how long it lasts for. Or maybe I should go back to my normal dose. Thanks

• Posted

Hi Clare

I’m just wondering how you got on while coming off sertraline.  I’ve just cone off 50 mg which I’ve been taking for 2 years.  It’s about two weeks since I took my last tablet.  My main problem is the tooth grinding.  I’m still grinding and feeling anxious.  I’m wondering if these are the side affects or if I should start taking again?  Any info greatly appreciated. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.