Hospital blood test

Posted , 3 users are following.

I recently ha a full blood test at hospital due to anxiety and chest pains, all was ok and no problems

I've noticed over the last few days that there are streaks of blood in my poo, nothing on the tissure,

My dad had colorectal cancer 4 years so now I'm worried I have the same.

Would the blood tests I had at hospital picked this up??? I'm really worried, please advise

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

If the blood test included the CEA (carcinoembryonic antigen) level and this came back OK then cancer is unlikely.  You do need, though, to consult a professional as soon as possible.  The need for a degree of rapidity is twofold:  firstly, if it is a significant problem then the sooner action is taken the better; secondly, if the problem is a minor one, which is probably the most likely situation, then the sooner you find out the less time you will spend worrying about it.
    • Posted

Hi Anthony I do not know if my blood yes included CEA, would this normally be included in a regular full blood test? The triage nurse said that they check for 'everything' but I'm not convinced CEA was part of it.

I'm seeing my GP tomorrow so hopefully she'll arrange for some tests to be done but now I'm even more worried 😩

• Posted

It is difficult to say if it was included because whoever organised the test would have made a decision based on the type of things that they considered to be important.  If you are seeing your GP tomorrow it would be worth asking the question. 

It is impossible to tell someone not to worry because worrying is a standard human condition when facing the uncertain.  Try to keep things in proportion, though.  If you have only noticed the problem with blood in the last few days then it would seem to be unlikely that any problem is all that well advanced. 

When I was diagnosed with bowel cancer it had become quite well developed, classified as T3.  After surgery and chemo all of the recent tests show me to be clear.  perhaps I should add that I was 77 when diagnosed so didn't have the healing advantage of youth on my side.  So, even if the worst case is realised, it's not the end of the world because treatment is very effective these days.

• Posted

Anthony,

I am 42 with 2 children, my dad had colorectal cancer 4 years ago and is still alive today and my grandmother (on my mums side) had bowel cancer many years ago but sadly passed away.

I don't know how long the blood in my poo has been happening as I only recently started checking, I am seeing GP tomorrow so I hope all will be resolved soon enough

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.