Losing all hope

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi so this is my story.

I was on Citalopram for 7 years and it suited me fine. Had difficult things happen in life this year and got to breaking point. GP changed my medication to Sertraline as she said she doesnt think im feeling the benefit from Citalopram anymore.

So for a week i took 25mg

Then upped to 50mg for a week

Im now on day 10 of 100mg.

The past week ive felt so bad if not worse than before. My anxiety is through the roof. Im suicidal and dont feel like this is ever going to end for me.

Went back go the GP today and was given an appointment with a locum doctor. She told me that the maximum dose is 100mg and i need to give it a few more weeks. She also have me 2mg of diazepam which i really dont want to take.

Now the leaflet for my Sertraline says the maximum dose is 200mg. I dont know who to trust anymore at my doctors. It took me so long to get my medication changed as my original doctor was agains it. HELP

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Emma. Sweetie don't lose hope. You are still at the very start of your sertaline journey. You need to give yourself about 6 weeks to feel the benefit.

I'm on 4 months now and feeling so much better. I still do take the odd diazipam but that's just because I have things going on at home which are out with my control. I always say what ever it takes to make you get there!

Try keep busy and push yourself to do things you used to enjoy. Drink alot.. no alcohol, camomile tea is great

Chin up and you can do this.. look for that silver lining

• Posted

Thank you for the kind and reassuring words. Im trying so hard to stick with it
    • Posted

I am right there with you Emma it is not easy.Praying for you
    • Posted

You can do this hun. Stay strong and believe in yourself. You deserve to feel "normal" whatever that may be. Take it a day at a time.

I have been on so many over the years and hand on heart these are the best.. citalopram worked for abut 5 months then nothing but back to misery again. So I went from one to another. I think seraxat was the worst one for me. Sertaline have a good rep so believe in them and keep in contact with your gp.

We are all here. X

• Posted

200 is the max dose, I'm on 150. Sertraline makes it worse before you feel the benefits. Come to this forum however many times you feel you need to. We are all going through the same things and are happy to help. Keep at it, you will benefit in time.

• Posted

Emma,I have been in the same shape you are in I was switched from Paxil cr straight to setraline with no transition. I will be on 8 weeks on Thursday and still have anxiety not as bad as it was but it is still there.my dr says give it more time.I have literally thought I was losing my mind and would never be able to function again but yesterday and today have been more bearable.We are all in the same shape
  • Posted

Hi Emma, I was also on citalipram that pooped out on me. Sertraline worked for me, it does take time to reach the level required for most, usually a month to two months. As for dosage I'm upto 200 mg in the depths of winter, so not too sure what your doc is on about, get a second opinion if it helps. All the best and God bless...

• Posted

I know this is hard. It's by far the hardest thing I have ever done. But it gets easier. You will get there. I know 100mg is NOT the highest dose but it also takes a while for any dose to level out. Take the diazepam if you need it! It will make things so much easier for you. Reach out whenever you need. We are all here for you!

• Posted

Hi emma,i was on mirtazipine for 6 years than bam out the blue i started having severe anxiety to the point i thought i was having heart attacks,the symptoms got worse and worse over time to the point I couldn't function and i have a special needs son who needs round the clock care,my docs finally diagnosed anxiety and started me on proprananol which made me so unwell so switched to sertraline 25mg a day then i moved up to 50mg after 2 weeks,i lost 2 stone over 8 weeks from loss of appetite but it did start to help with my anxiety i'm trying to be patient as i know it takes a while for it to kick in fully and there are days that it gets too much but I won't let this illness beat me. Take each day at a time and know your not alone, i found diazepam really helped me on those first few days of increased dose, wish you all the best xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.