I drove home from surgeons!

Posted , 10 users are following.

Well not really from surgeons but from mum in law house en route back . Didn't even have to think about it .. You just do it . Didn't really hurt much as leg still hurts a bit anyway and not noticeably any worse .

Surgeon said scar healed nicely and a review in three months . He seemed a bit surprised that I had been in so much pain after the OP and said in some people the pain just gets ' switched off ' immediately . I said not with me . Showed my my X Ray's and the impressive 14 cm metal rod down my femur .. Then showed me how my

Hip was before and I think he said something about bi lateral wear and it looked pretty close to the bone .. I.e not much cartilage left . He said it was NOT cement .. Seemed to be in a sort of cap like shape .. Cannot remember what he called it . Does anyone know ? Your only in there for ten mins and I could not get enuf questions in .

I did say right what can I do to preserve this hip and how long do they last ? He smiled

And just said get on with it and forget about it ! Said these new joints can last 25 years ... Don't worry about it he said ! I said what can I or can't I do and he just said all restrictions are off from now and you can drive as long as your not a danger and restrictions off means obvious moderation

.. If it hurts a lot don't do it .

I said if I say lost two stones ( yup I

Need to ! ) would my hip last longer ? He just sort of shrugged his shoulders and said ' well ...' With no real definitive answer .

So it seems here in sunny wales it's all actions go as long as your sensible . When I said I took my stockings off after a week

he said I did not hear that ! So that must have been naughty ! Did not give me any no no 's about bending twisting sock putting on or anything .. How far do I walk ? I asked ... There are NO rules he replied . Just be sensible .

So laying on the bed with a bit of an ache , a dose of Anadin and a big mince pie to celebrate !

7 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Posted

Sounds great Hazel ! I asked how to make it last as well as I'd read a few things like not carrying lots of shopping on the operated side and was also told to do things in moderation. So I'm thinking of getting a trolley to transport things from car boot to house as I do tend to lug loads about.

The arthroplasty nurse said there was no cartilage left in my replaced hip but the other hip is normal - so I've just worn the left out !

I also didn't bother with the stockings after a couple of weeks as there was no-one to put them on ! I survived !!

Great that you're progressing well. Lisa x

• Posted

Yes Lisa my other hip was ok too . I

Have a fused left wrist so tend to

Carry everything on the right side so maybe too much load on that side did not help . Had right THR . Hope the good one lasts as I am a lugger too ... I suppose the lesson is we have to take it easier and realise we just have to slow down and be careful X

• Posted

Hi Hazel , well done on your recovery ...

having my pro pro op on Friday ..which hospital in South Wales did you have op ? Mine is NPT ...

loads of questions im sure will come up , thanks for the cheeery update and keep us posted ..

Amanda x

• Posted

Mine was done in the Spire private hospital Newport end of Cardiff .. Funded by the NHS! It was fab ...
  • Posted

Well done you. Had my check at 5 weeks and when i asked if i could take the socks off, his reply was.... oh you still wearing them, Don't think they do much really, but its protocol in this country. As long as you did your blood thinning injections its fine. 😜

• Posted

hi christine, i live in west austrailia and i have never heard of anyone having to wear stockings, im post op eight weeks and all i had was pumps that massage your legs all the time i was in hospital for five days.no swelling or discomfort.

• Posted

Well that sounds like good news all round. I particularly like the bit about 25 years... here's hoping! Wishing you all the best.

• Posted

Sound good Hazel.im glad u are progressing so well.

Just taking easy please.

Hug Madla

• Posted

hi hazel, 

that is good news ... the bad news is that you are responsible ... which is great news ... also that a review is scheduled at the 3 months mark - gives peace of mind - 

keep being mindful about the bending, lifting and twisting though .. I also am a logger and realize that I can't do that any more - just have to make extra trips to car to unload stuff ... 

your body will tell you when she needs to rest - 

big warm hug and congratulations on a job well done

renee

• Posted

Hazel, I didn't realise that , like me, you are a Taffy!

Sounds as if you had a hybrid replacement. as opposed to fully cemented. I am fortunate enough to have both . With the hybrid, the stem into the femur is cemented but not the socket. Instead a plastic cup is placed into the socket that will allow your own bone to adhere and grow into it. Apparently it lasts a lot longer than fully cemented.

Did he really tell you that all restrictions are lifted? Be careful sweetheart. My Consultant was adamant that restrictions remain until twelve weeks when even then caution was paramount.

Good on you with the driving and all those hill starts! I now live in West London but am from the Valleys; Trealow.

Stay in touch.

Da iawn

Love Maureen xx

• Posted

I am LLantrisant !

Yes he was quite clear ' All restrictions lifted ' . Must be cos we are the tough Welsh ! There was another post on here a while ago about new advice saying no rules ..,

I don't know . I am

Not going mad anyway as I cannot bend properly or touch my bad leg toe and still in some pain . Driving was ok but I have a light nippy fiat.

But the b****ch would not start today as Italians like the sun and the Welsh cold got to her .., so had to walk to

Dentists and back ! Made it and recovering with ANadin and tea.

Thanks for explaining the difference I didn't know . I think it is cos I am 56 and fit and active so he said I would need another maybe . I do understand that op results in more initial pain . Explains a lot ! Going to Cardiff tomorrow for cocktails to numb the last 7 weeks lol x

• Posted

My late Aunt Nora Curtis was from Llantrisant.

I have been teaching my nine year old granddaughter to pronounce

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch. I taught it to her in a song. Not only can she say it, she is also using a perfect Welsh accent. It's a school project. "Something Unusual" so she is bound to impress.

Hazel, don't force yourself to bend. My last op was hybrid and I'm nine weeks post op tomorrow. When I saw my Consultant he explained how bending forward past ninety degrees and also crossing legs could cause dislocation; that by twelve weeks the muscles and tendons will have become much stronger and that "with care" restrictions can be lifted.

Without a crutch, are you still limping? I am plus I'm still tender in the groin and over the prosthesis.

Ah well, Rome wasn't built in a day.

Keep well and be good to yourself.

Love Maureen x

• Posted

Half of the name of the Welsh town is missing! It's sent from my iPhone so that's probably why.

Have a good day. It's flipping freezing here! X

• Posted

You are probably right. You Scots must be tough to live so far North. Whereas, we Welsh tend to rust! 🌧??

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.