abscess that wont go away

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi.

I have an abscess for the past 8 days from furthest back molar. I was diagnosed with this 7 days ago to which I was prescribed amoxicillin 500mg. Once started my antibiotics my face begun to swell along bottom of right jaw line which started to spread down my neck. I have been unable to open my mouth anymore than 1 cm. This is not a pain restricting. Me from opening my mouth but some form of mechanical stoppage. I went through out of hours service which I was prescribed co-amoxiclav and co-codomal . I hit the 48 hour mark tomorrow morning to which out of hours doc said the swelling will have been gone. The swelling has slightly decreased from my gland and jaw line but has started to spread up my cheek. I have all typical pain related to an abscess like ear ache and head ache. I found I hard to swallow but is easier now after starting the co-amoxiclav. If the swelling has not started to decrease after 48 hours I'm not sure what i could do ?

Thank you for your time and any response 😁

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

emergency room...infection seems to be in bone...mine turned out to be osteonecrosis of the jawbone.

have you taken any drugs for osteoporosis?

• Posted

Hi, ihavenonickname

No I haven't taken any other drugs apart from what I stated above. Thank you for help, the swelling has now reached my right eye. Think I will go to a&e today.

• Posted

Hi I have no nick name,

I went to my gp to get referred to hospital hopefully, he said they would surgically remove the puss. I went to A&E to be prescribed metronidazole on top of the co amoxiclav I'm already taking, I'm am still unable to open my mouth and is restricted even more. The swelling is still the same giant size haha,

• Posted

but you are on the mend albeit slowly...hugs

Keep the frozen gel packs on....heat would just force it to swell more...about day three after meds, you should begin to see and feel improvement

• Posted

Hey,

After waking up this morning I noticed a huge spot like mass, very red and tender has on my right jaw line. The back of my throat has a num like sensation which I'm thinking is swelling. Day 3 of these meds is tomorrow and I'm not sure to wait is a wise decision.

• Posted

The tooth either needs to be extracted or a root canal. Don't put it off , it will continue to be bothersome until root of infection is taken care of. My face and jaw were so swollen , I was on antibiotics for 3 weeks, I finally had it pulled and the infection and swelling went away.

• Posted

I am to have the tooth extracted on the 22nd but I physically cannot open my mouth, some form of mechanical stoppage. The puss I think.
    • Posted

Make appointment to get it extracted sooner. Don't wait until 22nd, you will start to feel better once tooth is gone.

• Posted

Hi Jamie, your infection needs to be treated with antibiotics asap because there is always a risk that your airways could shut down. Other than that, once the swelling is gone it should not bother you for some time. Tooth abscess tends to come back, sometimes within weeks but it can be years even so you need to think it through whether you want the tooth treated or extracted. Usually dentist can tell whether the tooth is worth rescuing and spending money on it. I know the pain is awful and it looks scary so if it won't get better within two days go back to either your GP or make an urgent appointment with your dentist. It should not take them long to write up a new prescription for a different antibiotic

• Posted

And with your mouth swollen so much I seriously doubt that any surgeon will decide to go ahead. They can't see much on X-ray as well because

everything is so swollen. Antibiotic, it the right one prescribed, should kick in within 2-3 days and swelling should go away quickly after that.

• Posted

Please tell me what ended up happening. I am having the same problem. When did the swelling start going down?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.