Fluoxetine and Mirtazapine

Posted , 2 users are following.

Does anyone here do Fluoxetine along with Mirtazapine? I've been doing Mirtazapine for 6 months and just weened down to 15 mg from 22.5 for the last 12 days. I also started taking Fluoxetine at 20 mg during this time in the morning and have felt almost numb, little appetite and dizzy spells during the day. I've been trying to ride this out but it's been really hard. I would appreciate any input as I'm not sure these two medications are ok to take together.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

My son took these meds together all the time until he recovered - they were both prescribed together.  It's always best to double check though with your doctor or pharmacist.

Fluoxetine is a good meds, though quite tough to take.  It will help you get back on your feet again but it can take many months for this to hapen.  Took my son 9 months to recover, but everyone's different and some recover after a couple of months.

K x

• Posted

Thanks Kate, I've been on Fluoxetine about 2 weeks and at 20 mg now and I weened down to 15 mg of Mirtazapine and have felt really tired, emotionless and don't have much of an appetite and was wondering if this normal for starting Fluoxetine. I'm sure going down on Mirtazapine hasn't helped..Trying to stick it out but it has been tough.

Thanks for the info I really appreciate it a lot!!

• Posted

Yes it is quite normal to feel like this at the start of these meds.  My son struggled on these but he carried on and got through it all.  I've also taken similar (Citalopram) and also had he same side effects.  Your body is adjusting and will take some time for it all to settle.

It is tough taking these - but for me (Citalopram) it was a small price to pay as I've been well ever since.

K x

• Posted

Thank so so much again Kate, it really helps to know these are normal reactions and there is light at the end of the tunnel if I persevere with the initial side effects that are hitting me right now.
    • Posted

Yep, absolutely.  It can be a long bumpy road, but just keep persevering and you'll get there.

Good luck

K x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.