How do you cope with Christmas?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi all, I'm feeling absolutely shattered at the moment and feel totally overwhelmed by the prospect of Christmas. Even just thinking about writing cards, wrapping presents, putting up tree, extra food shopping, extra visits to friends/relatives etc makes me feel really stressed. I don't know where I'm going to get the extra energy from to do it all. Hope does everyone else cope with it? Does anyone have have tips to make it easier?    

2 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Sorry should say 'How does everyone else cope with it?'. Am so tired I can't even spell now!!!

• Posted

👀one day at a time get some rest no stressing enjoy the holidays. 🎄

• Posted

Elaine,

You sure aren't alone.  I'm feeling the stress and then telling myself not to be stress because I don't want the stress to make me sicker.

Can you give yourself permission to skip any of it?  I know that is so hard to do,but it sure can be helpful.  I know cards went by the way side for me.  I'm hoping that facebook sort of makes up for it.  I'm also trying to give more gift certificates and cash this year rather than having quite so many gifts to wrap.  Are there any 10 or 11 year old girls by you who might relish the idea of helping to put up your tree?  Just an idea.  Best wishes!

Dawn

• Posted

Hi Dawn, I think the stress of it all is making me worse. I feel like I can't properly relax as I keep thinking of all the things I have to do which is probably not helping. Most people I know will expect a card from me so can't get out of that. Giving money or gift vouchers is a good idea. Maybe I could get someone else to decorate the tree or not bother with one at all this year. Thanks for the tips!

• Posted

This might not sound right, with I sorry I offend people , but if people expect a card from you , u ,then they have little understanding of your problems. over though if you spoke to some of them and explsinec, they would not be as bothered as you may fear. it really isn't the end if the world if they don't get a card. I make cards but am so far behind with them some people haven't had a birthday card for two years ! But they understand .I stopped Christmas cards years ago and what a huge relief it was.

I just couldn't afford all the stress and physical and mental effort of. Christmas. I suppose it was easy for me though as I have no interest in Christmas anyway.

I am sure if you chatted to your family and friends they would understand . X

• Posted

Sorry that should read ,I worry I may offend people . Flipping predictive text ! Mind if it's own mixed with ME brain !

• Posted

Hi Elaine

Sorry to hear this time of year is stressing you out. Personally I don't have anything to do with Christmas in any way. I cancelled it years ago. My family and friends know this and never expect anything from me. I don't even send cards.it is just another day to us. I know this may sound dismissing d , but I really have no interest in Christmas and afford it none of my energy or effort. However I understand if you do get involved in it all. I think you need to make sure your family and friends are made aware how stressful it is for you.try to allocate things you need to do to other people if possible . If you can't do this. Think about lessening activities. Please don't make yourself ill over something that takes ages to prepare for yet only lasts a couple of days.takd care x

• Posted

Another thing you might like to do is instead of cards make a quick phone call. Just to a few if not most of them I know talking gets r hsusting, but it I always good to hear another voice . and more personal anyway than a card.

Rather than a tree, hoecabout twigs with lights on. Places like dunhelm sell such things. I have a couple I use all year round ! Really pretty .

I do hope you can let yourself off a few things to ease the stress. I really feel for you knowing how stressful everything we do is with this damn illness . please take care and try not to worry so much about Christmas .maybe your family and friends could rally round and help you get through all this?

• Posted

Hi Janet, you're very sensible to not bother with Christmas. Would save a lot of energy and hassle!! Making phone calls is a good idea. I feel pressurised into visiting people or having visitors to exchange presents but it's just too much seeing so many people in a short space of time. I might just get my husband to drop things off and phone people instead. Twigs with lights is an interesting idea. Think I've seen them in shops. That could be a possibilty too. Thanks for the advice! 

• Posted

Hi Elaine. Sounds like you are taking a step back with is excellent. Just do no more than you need to. Yesgood idea to get yourchusband to drop things off

Will share the activities and thus take some stress off you. Honestly, people will not be offended of anything if they really care about you.

Take care..... Sorry about the mangled up sentence above ! I couldn't alter it x

• Posted

Hi Janet, am feeling a bit better about everything now. I was having a bad relapse and worrying about all the extra things to do but decided just to forget about it all for a few days and get some good quality rest so have a bit more energy now. Have cancelled a few things and am just pacing myself now doing the things I have left to do. Have decided it's ridiculous getting myself so stressed and setting myself back for one day!!  

• Posted

Not to worry or stress it can make younger worse. Take your time domwhat you can and en joy the Holidays . Let it go. Let it snow  let it go! ??????

Happy Holidays🎄👍

• Posted

Or do a email cards make one with pics add holiday verse send to friends and family. There are a lot of online help to make online xmas card too. 🎄

• Posted

Good for you elaine! I am struggling now myself about Christmas. The main problem is it makes me feel better when the house is decorated, even though I have help it still seems like a daunting task. I have the tree, but the process of directing decorating is too much for me right now. It is kind of like conducting an orchestra, what goes where & so on. I never realised how important my role is in getting things decorated, Lol. But things will get done eventually..Foggy brain style!

• Posted

I've given up with my normal tree this year. I just don't have the energy to decorate it plus I have a 6 month old puppy who is still going through her chewing and stealing things phase and I think the site of dangly things on a tree would be too much of a temptation for her!!! Today my husband went and bought a cheap fibre optic tree and it was so easy to put up. Open the box, spread out the branches, switch it on and it's done! It's actually really relaxing to look at (apart from the dog barking at it!) and hasn't used up all my energy like decorating a normal tree does.

?Am starting to realise that sometimes it's better just to keep things simple.

• Posted

There are some lovely beautiful fake trees at the big box stores. One I have comes in 5 sections all numbered. Itis 10'feet tall.with lights attached. Each section is placed on the pole of course as you snap it in the pole it automatically opens up like a tree , (opens like a flower) magic. All attached to  stand and then work each of the 5 sections up.then plug it in and viola lights and a tree that looks so real. Fools everyone. Ya don't have to water it or worry about fires and annoying needles fallin or decorate it. I just may leave it there all year! It so beautiful. 

There are also online trees that lay flat in a box when the arrive . They lift up and open up already decorated with bulbs ribbons and lights that spring up or pull up to 'attached stand. Really easy. 

Have a nice Xmas everyone .🎅🎅🎄🎄????🙏🏽

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.