change from slow release to tablets

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been taking Venlofaxine slow release capsules 225mg for several years now and have been able to  have a reasonable quality of life, despite the side effects.  Now my GP has changed me to 75mg tablets three times a day I pressume because its cheaper.  After reading various information I am worried sick about my mental state deteriorating.  I have only taken the first tablet today and have a thumping headache.  I would be very grateful for any advice or comments as I am unsure what to do next.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

My GP surgery changed the preparation I was prescribed persistently over many months. I became unwell, possibly due to these frequent changes. Sometimes they were tablets other times I had capsules. My GP initially said it was not an issue with the changes, but I asked to stay on one preparation and it seemed to make a difference.

My GP agreed to only prescribe the capsule. But the changes continued. I persisted and discovered that a Welsh Gov. pharmacist was based in all GP surgeries monitoring prescribing practices and changing peoples' prescriptions to the cheapest available each month. I asked for this practice to be stopped for my Venlafaxine and fortunately they listened. Most people can tolerate changes in med preparations but some people are more sensitive to change. My advice to you is to persevere with your GP if you feel the change is detremental.

• Posted

Hi Frances

My chemist tried to give me the tablet form, I refused to accept it. I then had to go to my gp and ask him to specify the capsule slow release before the pharmacist would give it to me. I am very sensitive to any variation in my meds. I would suggest insisting that you need the slow release capsules as you do not want to destabilise your health. ♥

• Posted

Change from slow release capsules to immediate release tablets is not acceptable at your dosage and following the duration of your treatment which i presume has been at steady doses and release for at least 1 year.

The difference is that immediate release delivers bursts of shorter acting dosage that in no way mimics the slow release capsules you are accustomed to. Half life is half of the extended release variety which effectively means that you get nice peaks and lows all throughout the day. This confuses the brain and is no solution for any kind of prolonged therapy.

The headache itself is temporary and even if you stayed on the tablets it would disappear after a week or so. You may feel nauseous as well and feel some worsening of symptoms. All temporary. Used for a few days, it shouldn't seriously compromise your therapy BUT:

Long-term, the ups and downs of splitting dosage into 3 daily 75mg immediate release bursts makes for uneven brain patterns and poor outlook in terms of therapy being truly successful over time.

Once you are on extended release, you are meant to stay on it. Immediate release tabs can only be used to adjust to higher dosage or in case you run out and can't obtain your capsules.

If you can get your doctor to get you the capsules...by all means do so ASAP.

Your doctor is a GP, by the way, making him/her less than ideal for assessing your treatment or condition. At 225mg venlafaxine per day you are better off being followed by a psychiatrist. Please see if you can get a referral.

All the best.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.