Not exercising

Posted , 12 users are following.

I'm having a hard time doing my exercises after TKA 13 days ago. My pain control was terrible. It's better now. I'm afraid of the pain I think. I start Physio next week. 

It would be great if there were others out there who have just gone through this. 

Most are one year. 

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I haven't had the same procedure as you but totally understand your situation, as in fearing the pain, the reason we humans and animals react that way is because we are protecting ourselves and if it hurts we stop doing it, especially if we are even remotely unsure whats causing it.

Once you start physio you can tell them where the pain is and they will advice you whether its normal or not, I think psychologically we are held back by our minds until we get reassurances from those in the know.

• Posted

yes that's exactly it. il 58 and don't want to feel the same pain i just had a year ago.

thank you

• Posted

we all have gone through it- be kind to yourself, be kibnd to your body

it is a traumatic proceedure  - i had pain for many months, esp at nite- 

• Posted

yes pain at night is really the worst. i still put my ice machine on and it really helps. but sometimes you just want something to take it away.

yes i will try not to let it bother me and go at my slow pace. thankvyou

• Posted

My experience was that I wasn't prepared to accept agony . . and my physio wanted to inflict that. . . so in the end I did it on my own, at my own speed, and up to the point where I could just about stand it. . but not beyond.  Maybe it did take me longer than others, but in the end I have got 130 rom and 0 extension, so I'm pretty happy with that!  Use all the pain control they will give you . . there is always time to come off it later when things are easier.  Hope it all goes well for you.

• Posted

Susan,  take you pain med 45 minutes prior to exercising....but DO exercise.  You will build scar tissue that is very hard to get rid of if not.  I did this 2 X per day.  I am now 10 months post op.  I am 55 and understand the pain thing.  But at  13 days I was still on pain meds regularly.  You won't heal if you hurt.  The pain, lack of sleep are hard on you.  I know I broke down and cried a lot.....just tired of it in the early stages.  It gets better.

take care,

pam

• Posted

Hi Pam can I ask at what point in time did you find yourself completely pain free without medication, even when exercising
    • Posted

Pam is absolutely right. You need to move if even just a little at a time. I also completely understand the fear of the pain, but the swelling and stiffness will get worse if you do not exercise and the long term ramifications could be worse than the thought of moving. Start yourself with gentle stretching and the exercises given to you upon discharge such as ankle pumps, heel slides, leg lifts, walking, etc. Everything in moderation but definitely move. Take your meds prior to starting and then let yourself rest and use ice when you are done. Even 5 minutes of activity in spurts throughout the day will help and then increase the time or number of repetitions as you progress. Hang in there as you are still in the very early days and it will definitely get better but you need to get that leg moving.
    • Posted

Several times...1st around 10weeks.  I happen to be an overachiever...as my

physio therapist called me.  I over did it at 6 weeks 1st time.....when I received my borrowed stationary bike at home.  I also over did it at 12 weeks.  Probably 6 1/2 months for me till pain free.  But bearable at 9 weeks.  I still took pain meds after that time before exercising. 2 X a day.  Recovery to me was my job....so I treated it that way.  Ice and elevation were my best friend.

i listened to my body, but also knew I had to move and exercise to improve....and I knew it would not be pain free early.  I started in home physical therapy on day 5 post op.  I did exercises 2x daily.  Physio came 2x per week for a month and added exercises...graduated me to cane...and walking outside with walker when I could.  I did out patient therapy for 5 weeks 2x per week.  Then it was up to me to continue on my own.

listen to your body, take your meds, hydrate and rest and exercise.

pam

• Posted

Morning Pam thanks for reply, as every one knows I'm not post op but post fractures but still healing and I glad you said 6.5 months till pain free, I'm 5 months and still have pain especially now I'm exercising more and weight bearing more as well, I don't take any meds so physio says my pain can't be too bad, but still follow the ice/heat elevation rule.

I'm far behind every one else because I wasn't allowed to start weight bearing for weeks so I class my start as when I was finally allowed to do that.

Op or not its still a journey I have taken on this site and I think its definitely helped.

Thanks again

• Posted

Hi Susan

I also did not do the excercises as the pain level was too high, I went to a sports Physio and he told me if the pain after excercises does not stop after 20 to 30 minutes . I should not do the excercises as the healing process is not had enough time.

Good healing

• Posted

Back off and let your body guide you. You have to exercise but you don't have to cause such a high level o.o f pain you are sick. You haven't even gotten stitches/staple out yet. Do you quad tighteningsc, gentle leg lifts etc but just give yourselfvtime. Ice is your best friend always after exercising and any other time it feels swollen. Pain med as prescribed , elevate and hydrate. Most people forget the body has gone through severe dehydration and blood loss. Its up to you to get those things back in order.

Sure, you are going to hurt and feel.like you'll never be the same again but stay with us onthissite

• Posted

thank you to you again. and i've started exercising. i definitely will stay with the site and post my progress.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.