Desperately needing to get off of tramadol

Posted , 4 users are following.

I need help. I have been taking tramadol probably 500mg for the past 9 mths. I have 14 mth old twins, and cant function when i dont have it. I have tried withdrawling cold turkey, and i get so sick i cant move, restless legs, chills, sweats the whole nine. I have been hiding it until a few days ago when i told my husband. Even he doesnt know the amount i take. I feel hopeless, and am afraid to tell my dr that prescribes them. I cant begin to even try and dt because i jave to take care of the babies. I am out now, and am in the 4th day of a new job. I feel like throwing in the towel, i am so embaressed, and feel i cant be a good mom and do what i need to do without them. I am in the depths of hell and just want to be normal again.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Oh you poor love, have you got a nice GP you can go and talk it through with and get in a proper weaning programme. You will be fine but just wean off very very slowly x
  • Posted

You poor girl, although I don't take as many as you I'm still hooked. My husband and just one if my three sons know. It was my son who told me about this site. I had no idea so many people are hooked on Tramadol. I wish I had some answers for you. I've been on them for around 10 years. I was prescribed just 4 x 50mg a day. I couldn't take them all at first as they knocked me out, and I was working then. So I have always taken them every other day. I'm glad I did now, although I still can't get off them. I'm 73 with arthritis and what worries me if I try to quit, I could have a heart attack. When I've tried before its not just jumpy legs, my whole body starts shaking and my arms also start throwing about, it's hideous. How can our GPS freely keep prescribing these dangerous drugs. I hope you get the help you need, you could also do with some help taking care of your twin babies. Good luck..

• Posted

You definately need the support of your stand hopefully he/she will be as supportive as mine has been! I was scared too to tell my dr about the level of addiction I had - although he must've had some kind of idea as he prescribed the pills! I've been taking Tramadol for 9 years for back trouble which sounds very similar to yours and have tried a few times to come off them and failed. However in August after a second seizure I was diagnosed with epilepsy and told by my neurologist that it has probably been caused by the Tramadol 😕 So since then I have VERY slowly been weaning myself off and am now 6 days clear of any Tramadol! Your body will create pain to trick you into thinking you need the pills but perseve and it will pass. I don't know what I am going to do for pain relievers when my back flares up again but I will cross that bridge with my GP when it happens-for sure the answer won't be to take Tramadol! The most helpful things I found were this site and in particular Peter! Also keep a daily diary (a very honest one) of how you are doing. Even if I had a bad day and took more than I should have I wrote it down. It's surprising when you are in the throes of withdrawals and thinking you are doing rubbish tolook at your diary and see actually how far you've progressed-it all helps keep focused. My GP sees me every 2 weeks for an update which is good as I feel accountable to someone else. You will need support from family, especially with 2 wee ones to look after and towards the end when you come off all together I would suggest a few days off work! I just wish I had done it years ago rather than just go along with mindlessly taking these pills because now I have epilepsy and that is a whole new discussion 🙄 Good luck, you can do it!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.