Anyone with Tinnitus and ETD?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi All

I have been diagnosed with ETD and have been suffering from it for over 10 years now. I also have tinnitus in right ear and significant hearing loss. I constantly perform the valsava maneuver many times, daily (especially when I need to focus or really listen to something) I am going to google the eustachian Tuboplasty and  balloon Tuboplasty as soon as I am done posting. Just wanted to see if anyone else had the tinnitus WITH the ETD?

1 like, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Yes
    • Posted

I have had it about 5 years and in the last 6 months it has become worse. By worse I mean my ear closes/becomes congested about every two weeks. Antibiotics usually clear it up in a couple of days but the tinnitus never subsides much. ENT thinks it is caused by acid reflux but treating it for 3 months (elevated head of bed, no food 3 hours before bedtime, eliminate certain foods, small meals and Prilosec) has done little to help. Naturopathic doctor thinks it is TMJ with other possibilities being food allergy or hypothyroid, Just had a food allergy test and waiting on results. I will have a thyroid test in the next couple of days for hypothyroid which I believe is a more likely reason for this as I have other symptoms.
    • Posted

I have it from sun-up to sundown and am looking into Balloon dialtion of the eustachian tube. Everything I read on the matter, points to my descriptions. I have hearing loss (especially in one ear that has the tinnitus) From what I have also read, ETD can result in conductive hearing loss, so I want to get this done asap. Feeling lots of pressure in sinus areas on face lately (and we are in winter) so dust mites are probably the only allergen responsible. I too had allergy tests, and dust mites were high on list.
    • Posted

My standard allergy tests showed nothing so I had a blood draw for food allergies. I feel like I have allergies and sinusitis a lot. I always have crackling in my ear and never know when it is going to close off. It is my right ear only. I would be interested to hear what you find out on Balloon dilation
    • Posted

I will keep you updated if Rochester NY has a surgeon that perfoms this.
  • Posted

I know there is a surgeon in Boston named Poe. He is at both Boston General and Boston Children's hospital. I use to live near Boston and lived in Rochester as well. The winters are rough there.

• Posted

Hi Megan, having tinnitus with any sort of hearing loss is quite normal. Wearing a hearing aid will help bring sound into your ear so you don't notice the tinntitus. The ballooning is well worth trying if an ENT says your ear is suitable. I have seen my first client that had the procedure (I am in Western Australia) and it was successful. Have you seen an ENT who has tried different sprays and medications?

• Posted

If you mean flonase and allegy meds, yes, I have tried them. I have netti potted also. I just checked and no one in Rochester NY performs  eustachian Tuboplasty or balloon Tuboplasty...which I find alarming, as we have Universtiy of Rochester here!
    • Posted

Michael DeCicco Canandaigua does tuboplasty for Eustachian tube per the Acclarent site. His profile says he admits to Strong Memorial. I remember that hospital when I attended the U of R and had a good reputation

Good Luck

• Posted

Oh my gosh..that is good news. I didn't check Canandaigua, just Rochester! Thanks...I will follow up on the great lead!

• Posted

Let me know how they look as far as doing the dilation tube. I am quickly running out of options and heading for trying it. I hope it works and if if you have it done let me know if it works and all the details
    • Posted

Megan

I am interested in the balloon dilation so I contacted Acclaris directly on their web sit. They had a medical rep in my city, Seattle, contact me. I spoke with him and they have 3 trained here. The FDA requires the company train them before they can do surgery. acclaris is owned by Johnson and Johnson and the product is Aera. You might want to try contacting them on their web site

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.