Knee Pain and poor functionality 1 year after arthroscopy

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello,

One year ago I tore my medial meniscus breakdancing and had arthroscopic surgery to remove some of the meniscus. My knee didn't heal properly and I can't fully extend my leg, which causes a lot of discomfort when i'm standing up straight. My knee also pops a lot. Sometimes it will pop and i'll loose even more extension ROM and it will pop again and it'll go back again. I've seen a physio and am doing exercises but the discomfort when standing hasn't improved. (I'm 23 and this is really ruining my ability to do things with my life).

Any ideas whats going on with my knee?

What should I do?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

After an arthroscopic operation, I had the popping. . well, it sort of clicked at a certain point and hurt and was difficult to straighten.  Mind you, mine was worn out, and it was a last ditch attempt to avoid replacement.   sounds as if a MRI would be the best thing to see what's going on . .  

• Posted

Hi

Once the meniscus is removed you could have bone moving on bone, which I am guessing you are call pop.

I had the same problem with my knee in my twenties via football , I had a TKL in July this year, I am 61 now.

I recovered from the original arthroscopic surgery, but I could not completed straight my led or bend it fully.

It sounds like you need to go back to the consultant to try to understand why you still have pain.

Good healing

• Posted

Dear Dil,

If the consultant & physio are happy with the surgery, then ask the physio if they can recommend someone who will gently release / massage your leg. It sounds like some parts (muscles) of it are tight & others weak.  The tightness needs to be eased - to allow the weakness to strengthen - & so the joint stabilise.  It can be helpful to have massage to promote flexibility, & get past the most painful part of getting things moving - enabling you to do the exercises more easily. Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.