Neck pain mystery - possibly disc?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi everyone. First time posting on here and hoping for some support. Here goes my neck pain story which has lasted 9 months now with no answers yet. Interested to hear if anyone has similar symptoms and any suggestions what it could possibly be.

I woke up one day in March with sudden neck pain. Couldn't move my neck at all, pain was terrible and I was signed off work for a couple of weeks with 'tortocollis' (sp?). The very next day I was vomiting with severe headaches alongside the neck pain. My mum suspected meningitis and sent for an ambulance I was that bad. No answers were given, no scans done. Once I felt a bit better I returned to the doctor and was referred for physio. That appointment didn't come through until end of august so I tried osteopathy until then with no success. I was having an increase in headaches and shoulder pain especially around my right shoulder blade. Finding it difficult to lay down especially on my side. Almost feels like my shoulder blade needs manipulating back into position and constant neck pain still. Once I started physio my headaches became constant - no let up even for a minute day or night. I felt all the manipulation was making it worse. Eventually the physio referred me to neurology but I'm still waiting on that appt. The last few weeks I'm in against with my right shoulder blade, headaches, my right arm feels like it's been punched and my middle finger and ring finger are so painful on the right hand. I'm struggling to lay down and even sit back on a sofa. My doctor wanted me to have an MRI but apparently the neurologist has said he will make that decision if I need one. I'm wondering if this is related to a disc or could it possibly just be muscular. I have been a primary teacher for 20 years so I constantly look down and my posture isn't great. My neck movement is very limited and can't move my ear towards my shoulder at all. Some days I can feel as though my head weighs a tonne as the pain is so intense in the base of my neck, almost a burning feeling. Anyone else had similar? Neurology appt in two weeks!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Tortocollis is quite literally, twisted neck. Typically the sternocladomastoid muscle is involved. This muscle attaches at the sternum, the clavicle, and the mastoid process of the temporal bone.

Sort of a triangle of your symptoms.

Coming from C5 C6 C6 C8 nerve roots innervate the brachial plexus which innervates the arm all the wat to the fingers.

Until your appointment with the neurologist, pethaps you will try a heating pad on low...warm muscles relax and are easier to move. Feel free to try a frozen gel pack..the cervical shaped one is fabulous. Gel packs are available on Amazon, medical supplies, and pharmacies.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. I wonder if it is tortocollis...it's been nine months of pain now with no success at physio. Not long until I find out. Thank you for the tips as to how I can try and relieve the pain, constantly have a heat pad on it. Just hope it's not a disc...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.