Had shingles at 4 yrs old----can it cause pain leter in life?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had shingles almost 50 yrs ago, when I was only 4 years old.  I know it wasn't exactly common to get shingles at such a young age in the 60s, but even more unusual, I had bilateral shingles, which I have been told is rare.  I have had a doctor tell me that I could not get bilateral shingles.  My mother said she wishes she knew where the picture was that the doctor had taken.  I had it across my back, and down both legs. I have a scar on my lower back that is numb---someone pointed out to me that I nerve damage several years back.  I have had fibromyalgia for about 17 yrs.  Started with headaches, which were relatively easy to control with darvocet and soma. (nothing OTC touched them)  Sometimes a darvocet and an excedrine--and I was good for the day.  They started a few months after I had my 8th child.  I broke my tailbone when I had her.  I found out I was pregnant the day before I turned 40.  I tried not to take darvocet--slep on the couch with my neck just right---only lasted a month. My youngest was born a month after my 8th childr turne 4.  My legs satrted aching--and the bottom of my feet.  It has only gotten worse over the years. I would wake up feeling like I had been hit by a train---take pain meds, sit with a heating pad until they kicked in. Some weather changes could make my whole body hurt, but it usually stuck with my head and neck, legs and feet.  I got kenalog shots in my heels, which helped for quite a few years.  I had a hysterectomy 2 years after my youngest was born.  3 weeks post surgery, my legs were hurting so bad I was in tears.  I had been cut vertically (the 4th time), and my incision wasn't bothering me, but my legs were so painful.  I was switched to norco 10/325s to keep me from getting too much acetaminophen.  Over the years I have gradually needed more pain medication.  I did some things to help my fibro, and was able to wean almost completely off narcotics after 17 years.  If I started to feel the burning in my legs, 1/4 norco and 1/4 to 1/2 soma took care of it.  I had a roral knee replacement October 7th.  I was given norco for the pain.  I was good for the first month, did great in physical therapy.  I started to get the aching in my legs again, and have started waking up aching again.  I am still on narcotics, but less than I had been on before.  I had weaned onto gabapentin.  I could not take 200 mgs at a time, or it was hard to empty my bladder.  My pain doc switched me to Lyrica----gave me restless legs all over my body---could not take it.  I asked if I could take amitriptyline, because early on in my fibro, I had been put on it, and it had actually helped the pain in my legs.  I remember thinking I could not believe I was not hurting.  I do not know why I stopped it, or why I did not follow through with that doctor.  I was given an Rx for 10 mgs a day.....I had an Rx from an internist for 25 mgs that I had not used.  I cut one of them in half the first night, and slept well. I haven't slept as well, since, but I have only started it in the last week, last night I took almost 25b mgs.  I took 1/2 norco when I first woke up--beat the pain.  As the day went on, I started to feel them ache---I took 1/2 norco 4 ibuprofen---no relief.  An hour later, I took and excedrine.  It is really difficult to get my legs to stop aching once they start.  This has been going on for almost 2 weeks.  I had to have a major surgery several years ago, some female repair work----I rememebr my legs aching so bad that first night.   I am really not getting much pain anywhere else except for my legs.  I get the occasional headache, and ake up sore---but my legs get to hurting so bad.  It is a stinging, burning aching pain.   Is there any chance that my pain could somehow be related to the shingles that I had when I was so young?  

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Christine,

Where is the burning in your legs? Is the burning primarily in your feet?

What is your occupation?

Have you injured your back?

Do you have Diabetes mellitus?

Are you a smoker?

Have you been evaluated by a neurologist and vascular surgeon? Have you had recent MRIs done of your lumbar-sacral spine?

Any other medical conditions or diseases not mentioned?

A one-time episode of shingles at 4 years old from which you recovered completely should not be causing the multitude of problems now.

The burning in your legs should be evaluated by a neurologist and vascular surgeon,if it has not already been done. There can be many problems that can cause a neuropathic pain, such as yours. I take Topamax for my neuropathic pain(not caused by diabetes shingles)

• Posted

Sorry,

I didn't complete my response.

I am a Nurse Practitioner in the US and have Herpes Zoster-Shingles every three to five weeks for the past twenty years.

Best wishes

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Have you had your leg length checked...that was part if my problem...using a heel lift in one shoe helped me out a lot...but not fully

Did your shingles follow the right and left sciatic nerves?

I would consult two types of physicians...a neurologist and a spinal ortho.

Have you ever had an EMG or MRI?

oops, my first go around with the damnable shingles was 1962 at age 11 just.....

• Posted

Christine,

I have No Nickname presented great information...and ideas.

This is why I love this site! Everyone is so warm, supportive and has fantastic knowledge to contribute.

Make an appointment with a Physiatrist. The physician can do nerve conduction studies and EMGs to figure out exactly which nerves are involved to help solve exactly what is going on with you. Burning sensation in your legs is neuropathic pain and not fibromyalgia. It can be due to problems including vascular, neurological, infectious, and/or metabolic causes. Even vitamin deficiencies and toxicities can cause neuropathic problems. I am not saying that is your problem, Christine...an excellent physician needs to do a work up on you to evaluate possibilities.

Frankly, a medication that helps me for the severe burning Neuropathy is Topamax, but every medication one takes has side effects. Sometimes, the medication has positive side effects, as it does for me. It prevents my severe migraine headaches 100%, lessens the pain of Herpes Zoster-Shingles episodes, and dramatically reduces the burning in my feet.

Keep me posted, Christine.

Thanks.

Best wishes

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Merry...Topamax...better than Lyrica...my L4-L5 has bern brutal for going on two weeks...shooting to bilateral knees
    • Posted

Dear No Nickname,

I shall have to give you a nickname!🌲💞🐈

Lyrica is a big weight gainer with many side effects, mood changes...

Topamax has a better safety profile, but as it is generic, is not advertised for neuropathic pain. I know it helps Neuralgia, prevents PHN as an anticonvulsant, reduces low back pain, neck pain, etc etc.

Topamax has been a godsend for me...

Best Regards

Merry Juliana

• Posted

am I understanding that my excessive weight gain since March coukd be the Lyrica!!!??? They had me up to four per day fir a month, then down to three per day.

hugs

judith

• Posted

I have no nickname,

If you started Lyrica in March, started gaining weight in March etc. Lyrica is a weight gainer. FYI Topamax is a weight loser....

I am not stating that Lyrica caused you to gain weight, but, it certainly could have. Doxepin caused me to gain 70 lbs, of which I have lost 50 lbs.

Merry Juliana

• Posted

50#. I have a closet full of clothes purchased as I gained.

See neurologist January 3. Will ask for topomax.

How did you lose the weight?

Thank you soon much

Judith

• Posted

When I finally figured out my allergies, I was able to discontinue the Doxepin, my metabolism increased, and I started losing the weight. Topamax would be off-label use, so I am not sure if your physician will be supportive.

Regarding the weight loss, I am older, so it has taken time and patience.

Merry Juliana

• Posted

I am over the hill....chuckle chuckle

thank you. I dropped to two Lyrica per day yesterday.

• Posted

Hello Christine, I have been reading people's experience with shingles and came across your post. Are you still having trouble with pain in your legs? If you are still looking for advice I would like to share something with you. I am close to your age and have had similar problems that you've had. Please reply if you are interested to learn more.

Best wishes.......Nic form Australia

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.