Just started taking escitapram - side effects bad

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi I have only been taking escitapram 5mg since Tuesday and I feel so rough, I'm not sure I'm strong enough to carry on with it.  I feel so sick (and being sick) all the time and so anxious that I can't sit still, I'm struggling to eat anything and I'm really scared. This really is unbearable, I can't seem to function. The dr did say that it would get worse, was just really wondering how long this goes on for?

Any help or advice would be really appreciate, I feel a mess. 

1 like, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Hi Claire, I really feel for you as I was just the same! I couldn't function either but believe me it will get better, it just takes a little while and everyone's different!!!

I had nausea, shakiness, irritability, wobbly legs, palpitations amongst other things!

I started on 5, then 20 and I've settled on 15mg! I reckon you should feel a bit better on the 2-3 week mark. When does your dr want to see you? I was on the 5 for a month then the 10 for a month then upped to 15mg! Hope you start to feel better soon but all what you're experiencing is normal so try and stick with it! Here to help, you're not alone x

• Posted

Sorry that should read 10 after the 5 not 20mg
    • Posted

Thank you so much for your reply, I can't tell you how much it has helped. I've got to see my dr in a couple of weeks time, and I'm hoping that some of the symptoms may of subsided a bit by then.  I'm worried that if he wants to increase them, I've got to go though all this again.

I've taken the tablet today and I'm trying not to get too ahead of myself and deal with each day as it comes, but it's difficult when the wave hits.

Thank you again. X

• Posted

You're welcome, I know it helped me when I had support!

I always take mine in the morning and when I started out with these I was fine by late afternoon/evening and could face some food then, but it was usually just toast or soup and also to keep my strength up I would try and sip the complan build up drinks!

You will probably get the symptoms again when you up dose but hopefully not as bad but just remember it's all normal and will get better!

Stay positive as that can help and try and keep busy when you feel up to it!

Take care x

• Posted

Hello Claire,

so you have only been taking it two days?

When I first started taking it my stomach was bad but I was also withdrawing from paroxetine that i had been on for a long time.

I know there is also an increase in anxiety and please know it will pass as your body adjusts.

Is this the first anti depressant you have been on?

If you can perhaps have a word with the pharmacist to see if they have any tips or perhaps contact your doctor again for assistance with the most troubling symptoms.

Also please know you are not alone although it feels like it right now and this maybe the start of a better period in your life when the initial side effects pass.

Speaking form experience my symptoms began to improve after about a week (but I was withdrawring from a big dose of Paroxetine at the same time) so it may even be shorter for you.

Perhaps book a doctors appointment just so you know you have one and if you feel improvement you can always cancel.

My best wishes to you and I hope you begin to feel better, we all know on here how scary it can be starting a medication also.

K.

• Posted

Thank you so much for replying, it really is helping to talk about it and know that I'm not alone.

Its my third day of taking them, and yes this is my first time of taking anything like this. So this is totally a new experience for me.

I had a really rough morning but have picked up a bit and feel calmer at the moment! 

I hope you are doing okay too?

• Posted

I took mine at night as it made me very sleepy an lethargic. Some loose bowels. But not as bad as some meds. Some people take half in a.m. an half in p.m. that could help. Goodluck.
    • Posted

Hi Claire,

I'm glad you are feeling a bit calmer, I'm ok thanks, have been on 10 mg of escitalopram for 85 days now.

I was on paroxetine for 24 years and I had heard the horror stories about coming off it so swapping over was a big deal.

I have heard that (generally) escitalopram is one of the better tolerated medicines out of the SSRI's but as each person is different, so to will their reactions be.

I hope you have support around you or at least a trusted person who you can rely on at this testing time, please congratulate yourself on your bravery though and think about the positive possibilities  if this works out.

Hang in there, and remember be kind to yourself.

K.

• Posted

Thank you, I'm sure I'll get there I've just got to give myself time. 

• Posted

Thank you.

My husband has been amazing and is helping me through this trying time! I do feel a bit more positive that everything will work out and be okay, it's just going to take time.

• Posted

I know it's hard but you must try to keep going it gets better I promise, its the worst feeling in the world but take comfort in the fact that I have been where you are now and can promise you that there is light at the end of the tunnel, get well soon and when you are better like I am come back and let someone know there's hope too. Best wishes to you xx

• Posted

Thank you Danny, I'm trying to keep positive, but is extremely difficult. I'm determined to get where I want to be, but need to give myself time.  I certainly will come back and help anyone I can, as the support and kindness has been overwhelming. I hope you continue to stay well. X

• Posted

Trust me , get off of them. But slowly and with your doctors advice. The anxiety especially in the morning is the worse. If it feels like fishing hooks are pulling on your stomache all the time then switch. I switched and feel much better.
  • Posted

Hi Claire, I definately agree with Danny, I have read more success stories than negative ones so stick with it and give these a chance and you're right you have to take things slow and take baby steps. Try to recognise small achievements!

It was quite a journey for me but I feel more in control now and it will come.

You will be fine, always here if you need a chat.

• Posted

Hi Susan thanks again for your message. I am sticking with it and taking the advice that my dr is giving me. I've had 2 really good days and my appetite is starting to come back, and starting to feel a bit more positive about things. I do realise that I may have bad days but as you say small steps at this stage. Cx

• Posted

I to have been on 5 mg lexapro nausea headaches anxiety for 4 weeks. Scared to go to 10. Dr really leaving it up to me what to do. What do you think

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.