blood pressure tablet amlodipine

Posted , 3 users are following.

Concerned over the above tablet I take, side effects, I recently had what I assume was palpitations which appears in the 'long' list of things that can happen.  I am seeing my Doctor as it happens regarding another matter, but would be interested to hear if anyone else has had the same problem.  Have to say it was a frihtening experience.  

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

lois75..if you're concerned at all, then you certainly are doing the right thing by informing your doctor. You didn't say how long you've been taking this medication.

If you've been reading about Amlodipine on this forum, you could have gotten some information that doesn't sit well with you. Everyone is different.Some took the medication & had problems..while others had no problems at all. I have a relative who takes Amlodipine 2.5mg in the morning, then 2.5mg in the afternoon. Originally, she was taking the 5mg in the morning, but her bp was spiking in the afternoon, so her doctor suggested she split the dose...& she doesn't have a problem. I started with 5mg...then went to 10mg but had to come off because of a very common side effect...swollen feet/ankles & legs.Remember, we're all different

Please let us know how you get on.

• Posted

Hi Mike, Thanks for your prompt reply.  I haven't seen anything on this site it was just after having the problem. 

I've only been taking this tablet for around two months alongside another one which I have been taking for a long time.  Because of my major problems swallowing anything to big (have to say tablets are my worst problem even somw of the small ones) I take 5mg once a day and have to cut it in half.  I don't normally look these days at side effects puts me off!  However it all started this morning reading an article on anticholingerc meds.  Will have to stop doing this !!

• Posted

lois75..For sure, reading too much can cause upsetment. Believe me, I know. I do far too much reading about things, then next thing I know, I'm upset & it's just not worth it. Sometimes information on the internet is outdated, or we don't know who posted it or even if they're qualified in what they are writing.!! If information is needed on a medication, the person who's the pro at medications is the pharmacist. They know more about the drugs than your doctor. 

A friend told me that I should take Vitamin K once I start with Vitamin D. The reason being is better absorption, HOWEVER the pharmacist told me NOT to do this..it was not necessary at all, & COULD start bleeding that may be difficult to find. I do not believe in taking anything that isn't necessary. Why will I be starting Vitamin D?...because the blood test says I'm deficient, by about 13 pts. I will be seeing my GP on Saturday morning & will tell him of the blood results. He won't know because it was a Naturopath who ordered the bloodwork. Of course, I have more faith in my Dr. that I do the Naturopath. 

• Posted

I was prescribed this a few months ago and also had a few side effects that I did not like so I let him know and my doctor changed it to something else. The only side effect that I have with the new medicine is the long lasting headache but it's better than what I had before. there are many medicines to do about the same thing so just keep trying something new that sits well with you and makes you feel better.

My doctor told me your body takes some adjustment time to get you some new medicine so any side effects could go away but if they don't, that's when you let him know and make a change.

• Posted

Thank you for your interest and having now seen a lot more comments I am surprised they still use it.  Will post when I've discussed this with my Doctor hopefully he will explaine more, in the meantime I've stopped taking it.  I am seeing the Doc early next week.

• Posted

lois75...We're all on this forum as a way of venting our frustrations at "modern medicine" & whatever meds we may be having problems with.

While not a doctor, I am very well read on a lot of things. I'm from the old school where beliefs are concerned, that we're supposed to have faith in our doctors...do as they instruct, etc.etc...but the way things are today, there are far too many doctors..young ones..who think they know everything, & spend more time on the computer while the patient is sitting there, giving the patient the impression he/she is not listening, & a lot of times they are NOT listening. Going back to my doctor I had for nearly 30 years was the best decision I've made in a very long time. The one I had in this city certainly was not a good fit for me..he falls into the description of what I've just written...a young know-it-all. A friend also has him for a doctor...for the past 4 years...& you know what!!???...She's NEVER had a blood test taken!!!!!  

I would NEVER suggest that anyone stop taking their bp medications without the doctor's knowledge or approval. This can result in rebound hypertension, & put you in a situation of possible illness. Be sure to tell your doctor what you've done when you see him/her, but don't be surprised if you're given a certain look.

Let us know how you get on.

• Posted

Point taken, I have a good relationship with my Doctor of 21 years.  I am  part of a large practice but do try and see him when I need too.  
  • Posted

Hello Lois, I've been taking 5mg amlodipine for about 4 months and have not experienced any palpitations. I'm sorry to hear you've had this problem and I hope it has not continued. The main thing that I've noticed since I started taking amlodipine is that I get tired more easily than before, but this may just be the aging process! However, tiredness is on the list of side effects for amlodipine along with a whole lot of other conditions that you can well do without!

I guess it can be difficult to know definitely whether a medical problem you are experiencing is caused by amlodipine or not. One answer to this vexing problem is for your doctor to take you off amlodipine and see whether or not the side effect disappears. The doctor may then want to try you on a different BP tablet. Let's know how you get on.

Regards

Martin

• Posted

I've just read a load more comments on amlodipine and I stopped taking it.  Do have a Doc's appointment so will discuss with him.  Will post when I get more.  Frightening some of the comments and at least two relevant to me.

• Posted

Hi Lois, I have been taking this drug for 3 days now, I am extremely tired with vision blurry and feeling generally in a mental fog, I am going to need some time to get used to having this drug in my system, I feel very different indeed, and have experienced 2 heart palpitations without incident thank God. My BP still reads high 180/101 and remarkably lower than the 215/101 3 days ago, my goal is 140/80 Hopeful from NZ
    • Posted

Mimi247...as I've previously written, 3 days really isn't long enough for your body to adjust to the medication. Yes, your bp has gone down quite considerably from 2l5/101 to 180/101. 

Regarding the heart palpatations...if you get a quivery sensation lasting for just a second or two, they could be PVC's which in most situations are not an indication of heart disease. I've been told this by a few physicians. In any event, if this makes you nervous, by all means point it out to your doctor. Let us know how you get on.

• Posted

Hi Mike thanks for your feed back, I am still experiencing blurry vision and still feel in a mental fog of sorts, 7 days tomorrow on Amlodipine, I need my BP checked before I can gage if my blood pressure has lowered, I am just trying to get used to feeling so lethargic, and adjust to my vision change
    • Posted

Mimi247...I'm sorry you're still feeling ill. I wouldn't be overly concerned as to whether or not the Amlodipine is lowering your bp...tell your doctor 

how you're feeling. Even if your bp has lowered, you feel ill...there's nothing worse than feeling ill because of side effects caused by medications. I'm sure your doctor will understand.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.