Shoulder surgery with Hypermobility

Posted , 3 users are following.

On October 20th I had shoulder surgery arthroscopic subcromnial decompression and bicep tendonisis. I have just reached my 6weeks post op and attended my second physio yesterday. I have never been in so much pain. I find it hard to get comfortable. I've always had hypermobile joints but as a child I just thought I was rather flexible. All Physio's and doctors are surprised with the way my joints work. I'm worrying how I'm going to heal and what the time recovery period is as I've read many things but never with someone who has hypermobility. Anyone have any answers? Or estimates that would help? I just feel lost as medically I'm not getting my answers.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sophie,

I'm so sorry to hear about your problems and even more sorry that you haven't received any replies and I won't be able to give you any as such.

I just wanted to know if you oculd update me on your condition? I currently have 2 impinged shoulders and a possible partially torn rotator cuff in one. I am being recommended surgery but have heard the shoulder surgery is extremely painful and, having hypermobility, am a bit scared that my defective collagen won't heal particularly well anyway. I'm also only 20 and would like to put off any form of surgery until I am older, but I'm in constant pain so I'm not sure how to go about this.

Please do tell me how you are managing now, after 2 months?

• Posted

Hi thank you for the comment. I'm just over12weeks since surgery. It's took me a little longer but from week 10 I started driving again short distance. I can now reach behind my back still a little stiff. Night time is a lot easier I'm not just lying on my back anymore. I still use a pillow to support my arm. I tried without but was too painful when I woke up. Currently I'm waking up sore but once I'm up and about I feel better. The cold really gets into my shoulder.

I had a little swim the other day. Which I was over the moon only in a 25mm pool I did 8 lengths I was so happy! It didn't hurt!

Healing does take time and wow do you get fed up! But I'd put up with this for over 6years I was sick! They tried everything I'd recommend going for surgery. Defo! It's not pleasant but if this helps it will change my life. Everything's healing great. It's just takes us as Hypermobile to heal a little bit longer but have faith! I feel like I'm getting my life back.

This Friday I've got strengthinf with the physio and I believe she needs to break down some of the scar tissue.

Have a talk with your doctor I researched it a lot before surgery to put my mind at ease. I've no guarantee it's completely worked but currently I'm healing still.

• Posted

Thank you, especially for replying so thoroughly. You have really given me some hope to get better.

I hope your recovery goes well and that you get back to perfect health soon. Good luck!

• Posted

Hi, I was wondering how you are feeling since it's been 7months from your post. Your story is very similar to mine and I'm looking into surgery and getting a second opinion because I was told surgery wouldn't help me in 2010 being hypermobile. But 7 years later I am still in a lot of pain and I'm only 27 and just would like to know if it worked or not. I got in an accident at 19 and after 3 mris they found out I was hypermobile and when I was hit it caused more space in my joint. Sounded like you loved it and was glad you did it at about 4-5 months and was I wondering if you still feel the same after 7-8? Thank you so much for your time.

• Posted

Hey! So yesterday I hit the 8months mark. Wahoo! It's definitely getting easier now I can actually lift my arm without pain. I get clicking a lot but I can handle that. I only get the odd pain in my shoulder where as before I used a lot of ice packs/ heat as I used to get inflamed from the simplest things. Now my surgeon didn't know I was hypermobile, I had to tell him. When I asked does it make a difference to me for healing he didn't know the answer which I found strange. On my last visit he was very happy with my progress. Also I'm no longer doing physio. To be honest you can do more yourself at home that helps e.g. Small weights and swimming. I can swim 30 lengths breast stroke with no issues! ( amazing btw! ) I am back to the gym and can now do weights small ones but hey I'm so happy I'm doing things I could do 6 years ago that I haven't been able to do. Overall I'm pleased I got the surgery I still have to wait for the year mark to see if it's 100% worked. But I'm pleased wth my progress. It's a horrible journey after surgery I won't sugar coat it but the way I feel now....I feel like I've got some of my life back. I hope this helps. If you need to message me again I don't mind. I didn't have anyone to talk too about my situation. So feel free.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.