Nerve root block

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi,

I've been given a date to have a nerve root block of L5 for slipped disk causing sciatic down the right leg. I am so anxious about it. Has anyone got any experience having this procedure. Should I be worried. Do you have any tips and when should I expect to be back to normal activities after having the procedure. Any advice and experiences much appreciated!!

0 likes, 44 replies

44 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Injection into the back to numbe the pain and help reduce inflamation. My physio said it has a 60% success rate. I'm not so sure I jumped it and went straight for the microdisectomy (not so bad just 6 weeks of being very careful) and feell great now.

Google  - Mckenzie Institute Webinar Dr Suprin on back ache and sciatica.

Then seek out Mckenzie exercises (and pelvic tilt) and do them for a couple of weeks and see how you feel.  The objective is to centralise the pain into the back. Book an MRI anyway unless you have had one, then you can see how bad the disk rupture is.

• Posted

It's pressing on the S1 nerve root and I've done Mckenzie and all the physio exercises you can do. So you went straight for surgery is that right?

• Posted

Yes it was L5 S1.  I was insured privately £9 per month. So I had the MRI scan after a week or so after my referral from my doctor.

The ruptured (prolapsed) disc was sticking out quite a lot, so no wonder my sciatic nerve was playing up. The NHS is a mess and back problems are the most common complaint so getting it sorted is a long process. I would have paid for the operation on a credit card if I had had too, the pain in my leg was terrible. It cost £6,800, thankfully some inherritance paid for it. 

Best thing, I am so glad I had it done. I am self employed and needed to get back to work quickly.  To me injections are just a stop gap to the inevitable.   

• Posted

What was the name of the actual procedure you had done please that you said was the best thing ever to have done?
  • Posted

I too had an S1 prolapse pressing on my root nerve (turned out it had crushed it flat!) and they tried a root nerve injection on me but didn't work. I had a microdisectomy in Jan and was the best thing ever! I have to be careful till the new year due to the severity of the compression as it was crushed that bad.

• Posted

What was your actual experience of the injection itself. Was being awake scary?! Were you in theatre long? Could you walk afterwards? Were you able to open your bladder and bowels?! Sorry for the personal questions!!
    • Posted

My experience was horrible. Sadly I have a massive phobia of needles which doesn't help! They couldn't push the needle in more than an inch into my back even with anaesthetic as the pain was horrendous. That was because my nerves were so severely crushed as they found out in theatre later on. Bearing in mind I was on 200mg of morphine a day. So the procedure was aborted. I was recommended for surgery.

My bowels were only ever affected by constipation which I have put down to my disc, not the morphine. Long story but I have my reasons for that conclusion!

• Posted

I have no idea but I had partial Claudia quinea or however it's spelt diagnosed. My bowels returned to normal i.e. Once a day the day after my surgery, yet before it would be every 4-6 days! :O

Nothing changed except the surgery. My medication wasn't changed until 2 weeks later.

• Posted

Any disc problem s in lower back which can affect everything from bowel to bladder to Lower limbs
    • Posted

My local hospital refused to operate and wouldn't recognise my symptoms. That's after my first GP refused a hospital referral in the first place!

• Posted

Yes, at the Walton centre in Liverpool. 500mile round trip each visit but well worth it smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.