How can I help my housemate with chronic insomnia?

Posted , 4 users are following.

For the past three or so years, one of my housemates has been suffering from chronic insomnia. I have tried many times to unpick the various factors that I feel may be contributing to this but on analysis there are so many possibilities that I don’t even know where to begin. I know that they have sought medical attention about it but there seems to have been no progress. Below is a list of symptoms and lifestyle choices that appear relevant to me:

-          High-stress, long hours work commitments

-          Poor, heavy carb-based diet

-          Frequent consumption of caffeine based drinks (this has decreased significantly but at one point they were consuming energy drinks on a daily basis)

-          Smoking (5-10 per day)

-          Chronic and acute chest pain, intermittent for a number of years

-          Eczema

-          Visibly uncomfortable breathing

-          Habitual and aggressive nail-biting

-          General lack of self-maintenance

There seems to be a mix of what I would consider medical, habitual and attitudinal problems that lead my housemate to give off a constant ‘on edge’ aura. If anybody has any advice on how I can help them, it would be much appreciated. Due to their unbelievable stubbornness, this isn’t simply a case of ‘tell them to give up smoking’.

Thanks

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I do not know what you expect you to say Yes Caffine is a drug that we can become addicted to, although that would include most of the population.

Smoking can also be addictive, five to ten tabs a day is a problem and nicotine is a real problem and in a way no-one can dictate to anyone who smokes as long as they smoke away from the army of non smokers. I used to smoke sixty a day in the mid 70s, I have not smoked since then. Chest pain can be caused by stress and anxiety, again the problem would need the person change possible life choices.

Personally all I can advise is be more selective with your friends, no-one can really say you will not do so so. You need to lighten up and move on

B.

• Posted

I'm actually struggling to think of how your comment could have been any less helpful.

So, to summarise: give up on your friend of 5 years and let their life continue to fall to pieces.

Unless you're 'trolling' me and I'm not picking up on your genius sense of humour, I suggest you have a long think about what you choose to comment on sensitive forums.

• Posted

Hey man. I'm in the same situation as your friend. I've beaten my chronic insomnia once, and just recently came back. I know it's possible.

Like with your friend, he is probably just as fustrated as you are. There is not much you can do. I have a friend living with me also and she can't do much help either.

I went the sleeping pill route, but have found myself talking more and more. I have to get off of them soon because they just make me feel fatigued the whole day. I'll monitor this thread if your insomniac buddy wants to chat.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.