low aldosterone levels

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello, my daughter has low aldosterone levels, does anyone know how this is treated?  Has anyone ever had low aldosterone?? Please help.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

I've had aldosterone levels so low they were immeasurable.  The usual treatment is to start taking Fludrocortisone (Florinef).  I've been on it for a year.  This is a mineral corticoid and it takes time for the body to get used to it. It shouldn't worsen the symptoms, it just takes a while to be effective. I recommend getting a good endocrinologist and having other tests done ASAP.  If your daughter has Addisons she will need cortisone in addition to the fludrocortisone. The endocrinologist will want to determine where the problem originated.  It could be thyroid or pituitary related, so be prepared for several batteries of tests.  The fludrocortisone can be started right away, though.  I hope this helps. Good luck! 

• Posted

ok, I looked up low aldosterone, and it scared me to death.  She is 14.  Her thyroid tests and kidney function, stuff like that was ok.  Her cortisol was 20 with a morning blood test. Can you tell me, if she can live a normal life and be healthy taking the fludrocortisone?  Do you have to take it forever? Thank you so much for answering!!
    • Posted

No. I have high aldosterone which is Conns syndrome. I due to have adrenalectomy and may have to go on Fludrocortisone for a bit after surgery so was just wondering
  • Posted

So I'll try to answer two questions with the same post.  Yes, fludrocortisone can cause weight gain.  I've had no loss of appetite for the year I've been taking it, and I also have "salt wasting" as a part of my condition, so french fries, etc, always are tempting. It takes discipline and exercise!

I've been to Mayo Clinic twice and have been told that patients have been on it for 10 or more years with no real side efffect problems.  That being said, I still would prefer to be off the medication.  What are your daughter's symptoms?  I had polyuria, peeing 8-1/2 litres per day at the worst time of my condition.  It took more than two months for the medication to bring me back to a normal output.  I have to measure my intake and output every day and also monitor my heart rate to keep from getting dehydrated.  I'm trying to heal and Mayo Clinic thinks that my aldosterone levels should return to normal some day.  Stay positive!

• Posted

She really doesnt have any symptoms that we know of, all bloodwork in normal range except aldosterone was 2.5.  This only showed up because she was starting a diet, and the doctor ordered a bunch of tests.
  • Posted

Well now you really have a much better story to tell.  With no symptoms, just repeat the Aldosterone test.  For one thing, it is measured in nanograms per litre, or parts per billion!  This is really hard to measure.  The second thing is that recommendations from the lab my doctor uses says it should be a morning blood draw while standing.  Nobody does it that way unless you ask the technician to draw it while standing.  Don't panic, it's one lab result.

• Posted

I am trying not to panic. yes we repeated lab, at 7:50 am, but she was sitting, i did ask about standing and they said it didn't matter. But I know they don't know.  Yes, I am hoping for the best. I really appreciate your insight!  It is helping me.  I am a worrier.

• Posted

You can ask for a 24 hour urine collection and have aldosterone tested from that.  It is measured in parts per million that way.  It might give you a more accurate result.  Aldosterone levels can vary hour by hour and even day to day. Stay positive. With no symptoms, she may adjust very well if she ends up needing fludrocortisone.  Eugenie Bouchard, Canadian tennis player, has adrenal insufficiency and is a professional tennis player!
    • Posted

Correction: The tennis pro with adrenal insufficiency is Bethanie Mattek-Sands. She holds 3 Grand Slam titles in Women"s doubles and two in mixed doubles!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.