Skipping dosages and tapering (anxiety)

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hey guys. I've been experiencing horrible anxiety lately, to the point where I feel like I'm about to go insane. I have this crazy head pressure too. 

I recently decided to skip a few doses of prozac and my last one was around 9 days ago. Today I decided to take 20mg again and I'm feeling worse than ever. I'm wondering if tapering by inconsistently taking your medication can make you feel terrible like this or if it's possibly side effects from taking it again. Is it possible to withdraw so quickly that after 10 days you can experience the initial side effects of the drug again? I've been taking prozac for around 4 years and have been skipping doses for around 3 months and been progressively feeling worse. 

Also, is it possible for the drug to start giving you negative affects like anxiety after years of taking it or are those only the initial side effects?

Any advice would be much appreciated. In my opinion I'm feeling this way due to either of these factors: 

1) The drug stopped working 

2) The drug lost its efficacy due to my irregular ingestion 

3) I've started withdrawing and I'm experiencing the side effects of starting again after 10 days.

4) Prozac is starting to effect me negatively (anxiety wise) which it never has in the past so I wouldn't understand how it suddenly could. 

What are your thoughts?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I would definitely think the reason you are feeling this is because you've been skipping doses and the levels of fluoxetine in your body is fluctuating greatly. It also makes sense that you would feel side effects after taking a pill if you hadnt taken one in 9 days. I get side effects whenever I increase dosage which is basically what your doing seeings that the amount of fluoxetine in your body would be very low.

Stick to it! But you might be feeling side effects for a while longer. Hang in there.

• Posted

Thank you so much for your advice and prompt reply. I was desperately hoping that it would be that reason. I will definitely stick to it, religiously, this time. I don't mind bearing with this feeling at all, provided that it's temporary and you've reassured me that it is.

• Posted

Skipping doses from all I've learned isn't a good idea. Talk to your Dr our pharmacist on tapering. Very minimal such as 3-5% reduction a month or two to see how it goes is what I will be doing. Just random doses I would think would do more harm than good. My pharmacist and had another way that I did try and wasn't successful without massive side effects. A few people here who have gone through it also should chime in also. Very very slow and very small amounts at a time.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.