Difficulties in walking and getting out from the bed or chair after 5 months of TKR

Posted , 6 users are following.

Had left tkr on June 10. Had reaction to a pain killer and ended up in emergency. Had heavy doses of steroid for three weeks. This delayed my PT.

I could walk and getting up from bed easily after two months by doing exercise and PT. Suddenly in October, I had hard time getting out from bed and chair. Now I am on PT again and improving very slowly. How long it will take or I have some other problems.

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I'm not sure I just hope you have better luck. I'm still doing pt now im doing alot of water exercises in the pool after I get out I walk really good but a couple hours later I'm sore. I'm feeling stronger but feel I still have aways to go. I was told today I might get to ride my horse in January. It's been since july I would never have guess this. I can go out now shopping ect for only a couple of hours, before I was lucky to make it to the mail box. I'm sleeping better if I take my sleeping pills. Lol. I still have pain in my knee. I had to take some pain medication last night .

• Posted

I don't take pain medicine or sleeping pill. I can tolerate the pain. Have always soreness and difficult getting up from chair and bed. 

I walk but very slow. 

• Posted

You had a very rough beginning. I am so very sorry. Your physical therapist will be in a better position to give you a sound goal. All of us here will send you hugs and encouragement. Hugs
  • Posted

What pain killer?  If hydrocodone (Vicodin, Norco) or oxycodone (Percocet), switch to the other.  They do the same thing but "hydro" is based on a codeine molecule...you might be allergic to that.

"Suddenly...".  What pain?  Where?  A lot of us get sciatica because our hips get out of alignment from walking off center and we pinch the sciatic nerve...pain shooting down the leg.  If that's it, see a chiropractor.  My SI joints locked up and gave me the problem.  Took two months of chiro manipulation to fix it.

So...what pain???

• Posted

No idea. I don't take any medicine.

I have pain which I am tolerating.  I am still having problem in wolking. .

Getting up from a chair after sitting for a few minutes and more difficulty getting out from bed in the night. 

I am getting better but very slow.

• Posted

Normal...  Even at 9 months, the first few steps getting up from a chair or out of bed are always an adventure.  The feeling should pass after the first few steps.  If not, something else could be affecting you, like sciatica (shooting pain down your leg).  If you're walking fine after the first few steps then you're fine.  It's just that your quads, glutes and core are all weak.  Gotta hit the gym to regain your strength.  Docs don't tell you but this is mandatory.  I thought I could shortcut that step and paid for my mistake with a lot more pain.  Get strong.

• Posted

you will find it so much easier to rise up if you do not sit so low. I put my bed on risers from the hardware store and I elevated my living room chair and I put the elevator on the commode, and I purchased a mid height bar stool to eat at the counter.

kind regards

• Posted

Hi Poor you. How are you feeling now. My poor Hubby might have to had injections i  his knees, as hes got Arthritis in them, but hes dreading this so much. Hes been like this for many years. He will be 70 next year & I am his carer/ Regards Amanda

• Posted

Seems strange. . .can you not get your doctor to check you out for some other cause for this?  Any other new symptoms?   I do hope it soon improves for you.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.