Broken screw after ankle ORIF

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi everyone. This forum has been great framing my recovery. I had ORIF with 6 screws and a plate for a dislocated ankle and fib fracture. Sept 7 2016. My six week checkup was perfect, but at my 12 week, I had broken a screw and my ankle was *slightly dislocated. I noticed some stiffness and more swelling about a week before the 12 week, which I suspect is from the broken screw.

My doctor advised me if the tib/fib gap widens any more I will need to have the surgery redone, check back in 3 months. He said the other screw is in place and the one broken screw only increases the unlikely chance it will have to be redone.

Has anyone had a similar experience?

Thank you

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

What screw was broken? From the plate? Or syndesmotic screw?
    • Posted

Hmmm I have 2 syndesmotic screws as well and was given the go ahead to bear weight as well! My screws will not come out till at least 12week mark, I am 7 weeks now. My surgeon told me it's ok if they break. At what point where you told that you could bear weight? Maybe someone else with some explanation can give some advice....

• Posted

Hey! Best of luck!! I was weight bearing as tolerated 6 weeks after surgery, but they said I healed remarkably well. My PT said my recovery weight bearing has also gone incredibly well. When the screw broke, I had some discomfort and swelling, but it is subsiding. My doc said the screws will break eventually and it is ok. I'm just a bit surprised one broke so quickly and there is a slight dislocation. Anyway, if it's any help after 6 weeks, things got MUCH BETTER smile hope it does for you too

• Posted

Were you weight bearing before twelve weeks?

I was non weight bearing for twelve weeks...had one hugh staple and two hugh screws both on an angle.

So sorry for you. Warm hug.

• Posted

When I was doing my initial ankle break research (and did it nine months ago for about 2 months straight), I remember reading that lots of syndesmotic screws break. As I recall, it wasn't a bit deal usually, but I would do some internet searches and I think you will find the info too.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.