Had Hydrodilation for FS. Now what?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I had MUA about 8 years ago for right shoulder but now my left is frozen (on MRI) but surgeon less inclined to do MUA again. He didn't tell me about new therapy an osteopath can do but I learned about it and just had it done 2 days ago. Ultrasound could see everything and pain was bearable and lasted only few minutes. Low dose cortisone was also injected along with the saline solution that popped the adhesions. I could feel the snap. I thought I would get immediate increase in ROM and pain relief. After 2 days pain is less but my arm is still pretty stiff and only a bit more ROM. I'm remembering back the MUA and how the there was relief from intense pain but still a long recovery. Am I to expect the same sort of recovery?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I have not had the procedure but seriously considered it and spoke with my doctor about it earlier in the fall. My doctor said that it is a procedure that has good success if the patient is willing to do the intensive therapy afterwards. I forget the specifics now but I remember that he recommended several weeks of physical therapy and I believe the first three weeks was like five days a week. He emphasized and made it very clear that the procedure without the follow up therapy both with the therapist and the exercises at home would be a waste of time and money. He said that the patients he has had for whom it has not been successful have been those who were not willing to consistently do the therapy as prescribed. He also stated that it is most helpful in helping with pain and that it will help with range of motion but not to expect the procedure itself to give complete range of motion. He stated that it still takes time to get your complete range of motion back. However, he did state that if you are willing to do the therapy afterwards it is definitely a helpful procedure.

In my case, I was going to be out of town for a while and was already planning to leave within a week or so of the time I saw the doctor for this consultation. Thus decided to hold on the procedure since I. would not be able to do all of the follow-up therapy that he recommends.

• Posted

I had hydrodilatation a year ago now.  For me, the increase in ROM took time but I was without pain after 2 days (and remained so) which in itself, made it well worthwhile to me.  I didn't do intensive physiotherapy but gentle stretching excercises at home which gradually increased  my ROM.  Personally speaking, I'd have no hesitation having this done again, should my other shoulder ever freeze.

If you want to read more about my experiences, it's all in this discussion:

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/hydrodilatation-my-experience-489438

• Posted

Thank you Maria. I read your thread. My doctor in the states gave me exercises to do and said to do them immediately and also to seek out PT which I have. I still have some pain in spots but better than before . Will keep on stretching.
  • Posted

I had hydrodilation 6 weeks ago today. I had almost immediate relief from pain.I no longer flinch or squeal when someone bumps me or we go over bumps in the road. I could immediately reach to either side freely and there was a slight improvement in forward and up movement. As the weeks have passed my ROM when lieing down has improved until I can touch the floor with my upper arm. I can do things like washing my hair with both hands now but the arm still feels heavy. Progress is very slow but I'm trying to be patient. My Physio has given me exercises to improve rotation but they really hurt around the rotator cuff or head of biceps so I'm being very careful! I'm seeing orthopaedic consultant soon. I'm concerned he'll want to operate. It certainly takes a lot of time and patience! Good luck with your rehabilitation.

• Posted

My osteopath said 1 in 20 he has to repeat procedure. Christine as long as out of most pain don't see why you'd need operation. When I had MUA years ago took awhile to regain ROM and maybe never got it all back that arm but I unfortunately fell on that one outstretched year ago and now it's sort of damaged and hopefully that one won't refreeze! But in same arm is rare. Thanks for your reply.

• Posted

Update: still not a lot of ROM return but I'm not pushing it. I still would recommend procedure for pain relief. I can wait for ROM and exercise gently.

• Posted

I've just checked the calendar and my hydrodilatation was 7 weeks yesterday. I think I'm in a similar position to you and it is reassuring to think I'm "normal"! I'm still not having much luck with reaching back with my arm but I can now touch my bum! I couldn't even touch my hip before so progress is there if SLOW SLOW SLOW! My recent triumph is I can hold the bannister coming down the stairs. External rotation exercises are still painful. As you say, the procedure was worth it for the relief from pain when knocked or driving over bumps.I hope you continue to improve. If I ever manage to fasten my bra again I'll be content!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.