Dronedarone

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi,

After not getting on with Flecainde and stopping it I went back into persisitent AF a couple of weeks ago. My cardio wants me to start Dronedarone and then have another cardioversion.

Has anyone any experience of this drug? My persistent AF is not too bothersome and only affects my exercise tolerance. 

Thanks,

Stuart

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Stuart, I was wondering what problems you were having with Flecainide and how long were taking them?

Marilyn

• Posted

Hi Marilyn,

I started taking Flecainide in July and was fine initally but after several weeks  started getting black spots in my vision and then I developed tinnitus in my right ear. I stopped Flec in October and the ringing lessened after a few days and the black spots stopped as well. I still have the tinnitus slightly but it is not causing me a problem.

Stuart

• Posted

Oh I see. I have been on Flecainide for about 2 month, taking it once in the afternoon and once about an hour before bedtime. After have daily Afib episodes (usually at night) for over a year, I have not had one episode. At this point, the only side effect is that it makes me a bit tired for a couple of hours, not really a problem at bedtime. Previous medication, were a real pain, and I was almost prepared to have an ablation. I'm happy to avoid the surgery, at least for now. I was curious about what side effects people have had with Flecainide. I hope your new medication works for you

• Posted

About a month after stopping Flecainide I went back into persistent AF and now need another cardioversion. It looks like I'm heading down the ablation route although my AF is not too much of a problem and I hardly feel it. Someone on another site described Flecainide as a 'dirty drug', but it suits some people. I don't believe any of the cardiac drugs are particularly pleasant.    

• Posted

Hey.

I was on dronedarone a few years ago but it did nothing for Me i'm afraid!

• Posted

Dronedarone is one of the NOACs i.e. an anticoagulant .it is not a drug for affecting heart rate or rhythm
    • Posted

No, you're wrong. Dronedarone is a heart rhythm drug. I am on Apixaban as a NOAC

• Posted

Yes, you're absolutely right ... I was thinking of Dabigatran.  Apologies.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.