Baker's Cyst? IT Band? Leg pain and swelling in knee for months now

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello, I'm an active 35 year-old male who has had RA since birth, starting off with JRA and daily trips to Children's Hospital until I was 3 or 4. As a child, my RA symptoms were primarily localized in right knee, with the RA going into remission for the most part growing up.

I see a Rheumatologist here in Baltimore at John Hopkin's regularly. I'm currently on Methotrexate (8 2.5 pils weekly).

Dating back to July or August, I've had swelling and pain in my left knee. I can feel fluid in the back of my knee, which my Rheumatologist diagnosed as a Baker's Cyst. She put me on prednisone for a week which helped a bit, but I can still feel fluid back there.

A week or two prior to seeing my Rheumatologist, my left leg became extremely swollen closer to the calf and ankle area. I was swimming one day w/ friends and when I got home, one of my legs was three times it's normal size, which really freaked me out. I went to the local hospital the next day, they did an ultrasound and tested me for blood clots. Came back negative, told me to RICE (rest ice compression elevation).

The fluid in my knee isn't my primary concern, it's more the inability to put any type of weight on my left knee without feeling a severe pain on the left outside of my knee. I coach soccer and can't change my body weight and go left without a lot of issues. 

I went to a physical therapist, who did a structural exam on me left knee. Said it wasn't the meniscus, LCL was causing some issues and also possibly some IT band issues (which can cause knee pain). So I've been working on some foam rolling, additional IT band stretches and exercises assuming it was IT band-related. If I read another article about IT bands or Baker's Cyst my eyes are going to fall out.

Anyway, my knee started feeling better this past weekend while coaching a tournament. I was able to jog a bit for the first time in months, and no pain kicking a soccer ball or putting weight on my left knee.

Then just yesterday, after a long walk, I started having a fairly severe pain in my lower left leg closer to shin area, felt similar to shin splints but still causing me issues this morning. My left calf and area around my shin has some swelling, and I can feel a bump on the outside of my left shin where the pain is.

At this point, I'm just trying to figure out what the heck is happening to me. The past few months have been extremely frustrating, I can't play soccer let alone jog on the treadmill or go for a run because of how painful my left knee was. I tried kinesio tape, big bulky braces, everything you can think of. Compression sleeves nightly, elevation, etc.

Not a lot of pain in my knee currently, but the area around shin/calf is fairly painful. So...RA related? Baker's Cyst? IT Band? Old and (getting) fat guy who played sports all of his life falling apart at 35? I'm open to any suggestions, I'm currently self-pay for insurance but will have new health insurance starting Jan 1. Maybe an MRI in my near future. Thanks in advance for any thoughts anyone may have.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi George

You don't mention if you have had x rays I have RA in both knees my right knee being the worst it has deteriorated to the point of

needing a replacement ( thank God for the NHS).

I have had a few bakers cyst in the past the pain is unbearable

To the point where I can no longer weight bear.

I have had steroid injections into the knee in the past which is

excelent, like you when the fluid from the cyst drains away it has to go somewhere it is usually absorbed into the body.

Quite a few time when having the injections they have used the

syringe to draw some of the fluid off to relieve the pressure

Then inject the steroid/anesthetic combination which gives

immediate relive because of the anesthetic the steroid can take a couple of weeks to completely work but it gives about 4/6

months of pain free walking. Or swimming as I prefer

• Posted

Ouch.  I hope that you persist with the doctors to find out exactly what the problem is.  I have a painful knee.  The xray showed that I have a little fluid, but I don't think that can account for the severe pain I feel when I try to sit crosslegged.  Sometimes, it cramps up on me in the back of the knee when I am out walking and I have to limp along for a few minutes till it clears up.  So, I need to follow up with my doctors.  Have you tried prednisone?

• Posted

Well, I have you beat, see your 35 and raise to 54☺

I was 11 and have never had a remission.

On rituximab infusions.

I would see a sports Ortho.

You have covered so many bases, have you tried compression hose to the thigh?

Perhaps you should have it aspirated, analyzing the fluid.

• Posted

Hello George, I m 26 and I know the feeling of fluid behind the knee it's making me crazy. I have had a huge lump out the back of my knee for the last 12 months before then it was off and on. I to am very or was very active big into my lifting so I have been doing foam rolling and yoga for years to stay loose but now it's a case of taking a backwards step and letting the medication hopefully work I have it drained about 5 times in last 2 months and had the steroid injections they did nothing for me. I have just completed a 28 day run of predisalone and it did nothing for me. I take 3000mg of sulphasalazine which I am dropping back to 2000mg over next few weeks as I started methotrexate yesterday 10mg going up to 20 over next month. It made me so sick this morning about 24hours after first dosage it was so bad I hope it doesn't happen every week.

The worst thing I have found with the fluid is there is no pattern I could be resting for the day and it just swells up, I could be active for the day and it goes down a bit or the other way around I have had scans and they have opened it up but they can't seem to find any reason apart for the RA that is causing the fluid. I asked them to put a small tap on my knee so I can just turn it on and drain it my self!!!! They didn't want to for some reason!!!! Hope you get sorted soon. Ben

• Posted

Hi Ben

This is how I exercise some control over my knee...

Perhaps a neoprene knee compression sleeve...it is specifically made to cradle to patella, knee cap. One should be available from the pharmacy. you will need to measure the circumference of your knee in order to determine the correct size.

It is best to elevate your knee above your heart while placing a frozen gel ice pack beneath the knee as well as on top of the knee for an hour while you read, telly, chat, knit or whatever.

Then extend your leg straight up and hold it up for 30 seconds. Now slip the sleeve on. Be sure to properly allow the sleeve to cradle your patella, the knee cap. Flex your knee a couple of times to ensure that your patella is able to properly glide without impingment.

In about another hour you should have much less discomfort and pain. You may sleep in the sleeve. You may walk in the sleeve.

You will be pleasantly surprised at how much easier walking and range of motion exercises will become because the swelling will come way down.

Ben, it is nor unusual for rheumatoid people to also have Vasculitis. I wonder if this is the mysterious cause in your knee...

hugs

judith

• Posted

Good Day not sure about all your problems but i can relate only to the knee myself had a fall last year December and my knee also hot swollen and very sore after being by docters and treatment for about eight months was sent to a bone spesialist sorry cant remember there medical name and he booked me for a operation early September just to found out later that i have lost 70% of my cartige and that was my problem. im still in recovering taking it day by day hope i could help

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.