Compiling all the strong options to solve my Insomnia

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi

I have recently been looking around the internet to find all the best options to try out and solve my 10 year insomnia problem. On average, I can only get about 4 hours of sleep by going to bed at 11pm and falling asleep from about 2-4pm to 7pm. I am currently following the common advices including:

- Melatonin pills

- At least 2 hrs of exercise per week.

- Going to bed at the exact time every day (11pm)

- No usage of electronics 2 hrs before going to bed

However, none of these above solutions have significantly helped with my insomnia.

My mind isn't in a depressive nor stressful state aside from my anxity over not getting enough sleep for many years.

Now, I am willing to try more stronger options. Preferrably, I do not want to resort to using pills because of their scary side-effects, namely from prescribed pills like zopiclone. So far, I read about one viable option that might work which is Cognitive Beheavioral Therapy (CBT). I will give this a try, but are there any other stronger options that I should consider as well?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I have really bad insomnia and anything upto 10mg or below is no good but I take two Clomethoazole 192mg sleeping tablets, I take two 192mg tablets three nights a week and they have been really good and I'm asleep within half hour and I get a better nights sleep, see I ur gp will prescribe u some.

• Posted

Hi there Phase.

Do some research on Magensium & sleep. I take my supplement of Magnesium Citrate early in the morning. I've suffered with insomnia most of my adult life and this has helped massively. It reduces the hormone Cortisol that can keep you awake if you have been feeling stressed or anxious. It's worth a read...

• Posted

Not drinking tea or coffee after 8 at night or eat a meal before bed as food will keep you awake

Some people only need six hours sleep each night. 

How old is your bed, does it need replacing anything over 10 years old may keep you awake. Sometimes a warm bath or shower may also help

Playing music can help as long as it is not vibrating the walls. There ar things that can help give anything a try you never know

B.

• Posted

I take two hours before bedtime:

Melatonin 3 mg

Acetaminophen 1000 mg

My room is about 68 F

Blackout window coverings closed.

Very quiet.

Bed is firm mattress, electric mattress pad, 3 inch memory foam topper, all of which is topped off by bamboo topper.

Sheets are Polar Fleece.

Mornings I take magnesium 500 mg

I am finally sleeping soundly

• Posted

Hello Mr Nonickname smile

Can I ask what type of Magnesium you take? 

Thanks

• Posted

Ok. It's just that I take Magnesium Citrate, I  was wondering what 'type' you  take, eg..., Glycinate, Taurate??? Some are meant to be better for insomnia/mood etc than others... Just curious that's all smile 

• Posted

I think the worst thing you can do for your sleep is obsess about it, believe me because I used to do a whole routine to get ready for bed and it made me obsess about it a lot during the day. Dark cool room and wind down a little while before bed with a book or something relaxing and stay away from the blue lights before bed.
  • Posted

Hi CBT seems to be the only option left for me too. The NHS offers a course...to help you sleep. That won't work for me as I work full time. I'm so desperate, at the moment I'm taking Nytol off the counter natural remedy. I started feeling sick at work for lack of sleep.

Please let us know how CBT works and good luck...I really know what you're going through.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.