Problems following surgery for Colles Fracture

Posted , 2 users are following.

I've had an Open reduction and internal fixation proceedure  1 week ago following a colles fracture which had slipped after reduction 4 weeks previously,I have a supportive bandge on my arm till seen next week- however i am getting increasingly painful sensation of the metal work in my arm as if it has slipped or in a tight postion I can't get my wrist comfortable at all,Is this part of the 'complex pain'i've read about or should I be more concerned.I am still taking regular painkillers but nothing is helping

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

A Colles fracture is a fracture of the radius , the distal radius at the wrist.

Elevation and ice are a must.

You mention metal...did you have a DRUJR?? a distal radial ulnar joint relacement?

I would be in telephone contact with the surgeon's office especially because of the first failure.

I am scheduled for a DRUJR on January 6

• Posted

Thank you for your reply- I've had a metal plate and screws to the distall radial fracture- although the surgeon explained i've had additional screws due to nature of my bone anatomy, There is no improvement today so far so I will contact one of the team for advice.

• Posted

So sorry...my implant was made custom by the University of Kentucky USA

It is going to be anchored inside the ulna and then joined by screws to the radius

My wrist flexion and extension will be lost.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.