Chronic Prostatitis

Posted , 8 users are following.

So I have been dealing with my NB prostatitis since June 2016. I was just really woundering waht are others expereince with this? I have pain or discomfort in the tip of my penis and sometimes pain or discomfort in groin and bladder pressure or pain. It comes and goes. I have been on alpa blockers, anti inflamtorys and regular pain meds. I have only had sex 2 times since May. I do not masterbate that often either anymore. I was just woundering what other men do to help with pain and their sex lives.

0 likes, 36 replies

36 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Non bacterial prostatitis can be frustrating. How old are you? Are you seeing a urologist as opposed to a GP? Did they try a course of antibiotics? Regular orgasms are said to help but could be dependent on how inflamed you are at the time. I had to give up bicycle riding for awhile and then switched to a more prostate friendly seat. Sitz baths also helped me. As I got older the symptons seemed to get much milder.

Jim

• Posted

I am 33 and yes I am seeing a urologist. They did not pu tme on a a course of antibiotics. How old were you when it started for you? I was thinking about going to another urologist just for a second opionion.
    • Posted

Your mentioning a "prostate friendly seat" sent me looking for one.  I haven't  felt comfortable riding my bike since a GreenLaser procedure in March of this year left me totally incontinent.  The bulkiness of Depend pullups and pads, and the high rate of leakage I have had kept me from biking, swimming, traveling out of town and so forth.  I will be 78 in March, but up to my GL procedure, I had biked regularly with 6-8 mile daily rides in an area with rolling land and hills.

Next week I will have an artifical sphincter implanted to attempt to address the incontinence.  So I expect to be able to swim and travel again.  I did a search and found this bike saddle:  Selle Italia SLR Superflow S Saddle.  It looks good, but is expensive, about $250.  If my doctor will allow me to ride again, I will look for a good saddle/seat.   I do have a spilt saddle, but it's not nearly as open at the one I mentioned above.

• Posted

Do you know that riding a bike in the days prior to a PSA raises your reading as does sex or for that matter a DRE.
    • Posted

Glenn,

Check out the ISM split seats. I use the "Sport" but they have a whole range from racing to touring. After the first day you don't even know it's on. You might also look into condom catheters (sometimes called stadium catheters or stadium buddies) instead of Depends and pads. Stores a lot, no bulk at your seat, and you can empty them at a toilet, or pull the plug while right on the bike at a suitable place.

Jim

• Posted

Around your age or possibly earlier. As I mentioned, sort of went away or at least the symptons got much milder as I got into my 50's and 60's. I'm surprised your urologist didn't at least try one course of antibiotics, so maybe seeing another is a good idea. Don't underestimate the holistic approaches such as sitz baths, relaxation exercises, proper hydration, etc. There only seems to be so much even good urologists can do.

?Jim

• Posted

Around your age or possibly earlier. As I mentioned, sort of went away or at least the symptons got much milder as I got into my 50's and 60's. I'm surprised your urologist didn't at least try one course of antibiotics, so maybe seeing another is a good idea. Don't underestimate the holistic approaches such as sitz baths, relaxation exercises, proper hydration, etc. There only seems to be so much even good urologists can do.

Jim

Jim

• Posted

Thanks for info on the seats.  The artificial sphincter includes an inflatable cuff around the bulbous uretha, so I want to be 100% the cuff and that area of the penrineum  are not hurt/injured by ridiing.  If my doctor says no, I will give up the bicycles.  I will take a look at the seats and make a note of the information.
    • Posted

Jim,

What kind holistic approachs have you done? Do you have any readings you recommend. I ask about antibiotics he said it wouldn't help. I was out anti inflammatory meddication. Which has helped reduce the symptoms. They are a lot less, but still have them.

• Posted

Antibiotics are a standard treatment for NB Prostatitis. They are unsure of the mechanism but two theories are the anti-inflammatory effect of antibiotics and/or the fact that there may be some bacteria involved in NB Prostatitis, just that the bacteria is under the radar of current testing. Sometimes antibiotics works and sometimes it doesn't but no need to suffer if you turn out to be one of the ones it works with. See what your new doctor says. 

Lots out there on holsitic approaches to prostatitis. Some may work, some just look like they're taking your money. As mentioned, I found some relief by simple things such as sitz baths, avoiding bicycle seats, and upping my fluid intake and I believe I might have taken zinc supplements. Also regular orgasms can be helpful and you might try avoiding alcohol and caffeine drinks and see if that helps. Another thought is something to relax the region such as relaxation exercises, yoga or meditation.

Jim

• Posted

There are a couple of studies the say curcuimn has anti inflamatory properties. Someone ( maybe jimjames) mentioned taking another suppliment with curcumin to help your body absorb it. 
    • Posted

It wasn't me, but I have read about it. Nothing wrong with doing a little research and trying some supplements but definitely stay away from the web sites offereing "miracle cures" in a bottle for hundreds a month. 

Jim

• Posted

Agreed Jim. Some supplements work. Some aren't even what they claim to be

Google lab door for a site that publishes test on supplements

?Also I think it was biotin the is supposed to aid the absorbtion of curcumin. Curcumin will thin your blood so take it with caution. 

• Posted

Big yes Derek, .cycling ,vigorous walking , jogging and sex will all raise your PSA you should avoid all for a few days B4 the test.

To all cyclists in the UK, my friend buys parts for his road bike from a small workshop in lancashire. The owner is very knowlegable in bio-mechanics and can recomend any parts you may need for any spacific illness. His idea is to keep you on the road in safety and comfort.

If you need his address send me a private massage and I will get hold of the details for you.

• Posted

Peperine or Bioperine from black pepper is supposed to improve the absorption of curcumine and many other supplements.

Hank

• Posted

Here in the UK BBC tested supplements and vitamins not only are most not neded by anyone but they found that many even from reputable sources did not contain as much or even any of the product. 
    • Posted

smaething in the USA. Like I said Lab Door is one of the web sites that tests supplements for purity. Maybe this post will be trashed also
    • Posted

There are always desperate people willing to try anything after medicine fails.
    • Posted

I will say, I used to take Krill oil to lower cholesterol. It worked wonders, also helped with arthritis. It does thin your blood though. It may have been a contributing factor in my first peeing blood episode. Holistic remedies do work. On the other hand I took saw palmetto for my prostate and it did not do a thing.
    • Posted

Saw palmetto in tincture form from a helbalist worked for me but the capsules did not. I never have much liking for things that have been dehydrated. Something is lost in the process as with instant coffee.

As I take warfarin I have to be careful of things that interfere with clotting.

• Posted

Possibly difficult to get it in tincture form unless you find a herbalist. It was quite expensive so I noted the makers name after I had been buying it for some time when my 100 mls was being poured out from a big bottle. I then bought it in 2 by 1 litre bottles direct from the maker at a fraction of the price.

I had half a bottle left after my last laser procedure three years ago that I recently disposed off as I no longer had a need for it and it had started to form a deposit in the bottle.  Probably helped tp clear the drains.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.