Pushing weights at 11 weeks?

Posted , 10 users are following.

Went to therapy and did the leg stretches ,steps

They want to start my leg pushes with 125lbs. What do you think?

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

You would hope they know what they're doing but sounds very heavy to start with and a good way to strain something !!

• Posted

That's what I was thinking.. making sure I wasn't crazy. So today I did 50 ..told him it's to much..... thank you for responding!!!

• Posted

Sounds a bit extreme to me, quite a heavy weight to start off with, but I'm sure they know what they're talking about. If your not completely happy with this you should say something.

• Posted

Hi, It does sound kind of heavy. Are you talking about seated leg presses? both legs? Were you doing these prior to surgery?
    • Posted

No I never did these before. You lay on your back and push with your legs. Monday I did 60then a 100. Didn't affect me at first but today my HURT!!!!!!! So I just did 50lbs today... Thank You

• Posted

I wouldn't. It is so easy to get soft tissue injuries post-op, not to mention possible damage to your prostheses. I'd wait a couple of months more, at least.

• Posted

I have a dream physio who never lets you get away with anything, but is rock solid down to earth with her advice - which frequently differs from the ones I get from the physios in the "hip team". She's exceptionally well qualified and experienced, and she has one very simple rule - build up slowly and NEVER do anything that hurts. This is physiotherapy and not boot camp.

?I had a similar experience with the hospital physios last week - not impressed at all with them. And afterwards is the ONLY time I have ever felt any pain from the hip. I haven't even had post op pain. Nothing. So I know that I overdid it, even though I felt I could manage more or less at the time - although I did wonder about the wisdom of what they were doing. However, after this experience I decided to tell them I wouldn't be back and that my own physio would take over.

?You know your body. Take it to the limit, by all means, but don't cross the limit.

• Posted

What type of THR did you have ?  That would make a difference on how much weight you would start with.

When I had physical therapy, not that long ago, I started at 50 lbs, 125lbs sounds like way to much.

I was cleared for all sports including hockey at 12 weeks, I am waiting until 1/2017 to decide on playing hockey again !

Good Luck biggrin

• Posted

TLHR but getting straight on the machine and start with 125 instead of lighter then working your way up!
  • Posted

I have gone through many physio in my day with 3 hips and a back surgery and I have found that some have a ideas that they are boss of sone one for once aND act like it is boot camp. They can hurt you. Don't follow blindly anyone. You know your body

• Posted

hi toy,  doesn't sound good to me either ... unfortunately I have not so good experiences with physical therapists my self - too heavy, too much, too soon - after 1st THR I also was told to do leg presses with weight, leg curls etc ... I was in a lot of pain afterwards and could barely move -- Eager to please my then PT and determined to show him I could do it (Old??? Me??) but ended up not going anymore ... in addition my other hip started to deteriorate - Maybe some muscle ache and pain can be expected, but not pain ..My motto is: There is NO gain in pain with THR ... How are you doing otherwise? big warm hugrenee P.S.  please remember that this is my personal opinion  and experience - 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.