Post THR & weak glutes- sound familiar?!

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi folks

Im 4 weeks post LTHR now & very pleased with my progress so far, getting more mobile every day BUT.....

My physio commented on my weak glutes yesterday & said i have to build up strength to avoid walking with a limp when all support is removed. He reduced me to 1 crutch so thats good but it got me wondering if its normal at this stage & if anyone else had issues with glutes ?

He gave me extra work on a wall slide & bridge.

Any other useful exercises very welcome as im determined to crack this & build up my strength asap.

Thanks. Margaret 😊

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Very common - the best I have found  were what I seem to remember being called clamshell exercises - mine are still weak mainly due to losing a load of weight (70 pounds) before the surgery, so my glutes have wasted away.  keep pressing those cheeks together as you flex the knees up and out.

I now walk normally in the morning, but sometimes limp a bit later in the day when commuting home as I have a 2 hour commute in to the centre of London).

• Posted

Hi,

Have you had your revision yet? After my first op, I very selfishly stayed away from the forum. I knew that another op was on its way and I wanted to just forget about it all until I had to face it again. I recall you had a great deal of problems; are you mended now?

Maureen

• Posted

Yes ... and no !

I had revision 10 weeks after my hip replacement to try to put it into the right position, but that failed.  Since then I have taken steps to ensure they don't repeat the mistakes they made with me, and don't try to cover it up either. The solicitors have progressed to the 'next stage' now, but it is a very long fight.

Meanwhile, I am under a new and lovelysuurgeonat RNOH Stanmore, who has checked me up and just done a second check.  The ceramic 'bits' are still misplaced, in fact it hasn't moved at all in over twelve months now.  They are keeping an eye on it, but seem pleased with my lack of OA pain, and range of movement.  cheesygrin

My only real problems are trying to sleep on my side, I still can only manage a few minutes on the left, 20-25 on the right.  Oh and this lamppost that I seem to be sitting on now. frown

Still trying to keep to the diet, to keep the weight off, but of course that means my rear end is getting thinner, which results in lamp-post like pains in the posterior after sitting for a while or when commuting.

How are you now - you're here, so it can't be perfect?

• Posted

I think it's pretty common - both these exercises were included in the new workout sheets that we got last week (2 weeks post op) to start on.

?The clamshell one that Rocketman refers to is great (it's also a favourite of mine from yoga) but we were told definitely not that one until you are six weeks post op. I checked that with my own physio (long story but I have a physio anyway, not part of the hip replacement team) and she agreed that that one wouldn't go in until the glutes were stronger.

• Posted

My gluteus medius and minimus tendons were both partially torn after my THR in July 2015. There was nothing wrong with them before surgery, but immediately post-op, they didn't work at all. Five weeks ago I had surgery to repair them, since they were torn so badly that they wouldn't heal on their own. 

• Posted

EVERY time I take a step.i squeeze my behind together right as possible. been doing this I got out surgery. Just keep squeezing. I am 11 weeks out. They have strengthen tremendously....Good Luck😄😃

• Posted

I have weak everything love I'm 8 weeks and physiotherapist only just let me go on one crutch . I'm 35 . Just do your exercises,and it will very soon be sorted x , take it from me your doing really well . 😉

• Posted

Hi Margaret,

Whilst holding on to something solid, stand on tiptoe, hold your tummy in and using small jerking movements, squeeze your bum cheeks together and let go.. Squeeze in and out for for ten and rest. Gradually build up to as many as possible. Repeat at least three times a day.

Your bum will ache, but that's good.

Good luck with your recovery.

Maureen

• Posted

Thanks so much everyone for all that practical advice, really helpful!

Im looking forward to starting the clamshells in a few weeks & till then will just keep squeezing away to work out the ol' glutes!

Margaret

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.